add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Best HDD for storage of games

nRO_Sunk
  • 1 day ago

Thinking of purchasing the Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD, but reviews are saying to stay away from it because of SMR. Are Seagate hard drives reliable? If not I am open to suggestions as I am in the process of ordering parts for my PC build.

This is my parts list for context: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/YNxxdm

Comments

• 1 day ago
  • 2 points

Reviews are misleading because there is bias in the sampling. People are more likely to write a negative review than take the time to write a positive review. I have a Seagate Barracuda in one of the builds, 3 years old, lots of reading and writing, still going strong. Yes some drives are better than others but you hit diminishing returns. I stumped up a couple of hundred for a WD Black 4TB HDD and cannot say definitively that it appears better than other drives I have owned. Besides, your case usage will not be a 24/7, like video monitoring or server related.

If, like me and plenty of others, you use an HDD for bulk storage and any immediate games or applications are moved to a faster SSD Sata/NVMe then do not overspend on an HDD. Diminishing returns and the money saved could go elsewhere, i.e. a bigger NVMe for instance or better cooler and so on. I would not worry too much about reliability.

• 1 day ago
  • 1 point

Appreciate you taking the time to write an informative reply! Will go ahead with the Barracuda.

• 20 hours ago
  • 2 points

The newer Barracuda's are indeed relatively slow to write, but whether it's a problem depends on how much writing you do. If you use it as mainly a game store, you'll write the game when you download it and then not again, so it won't matter.

• 13 hours ago
  • 1 point

In what scenarios would a Barracuda be slow for? As in, what other writing processes could I do which would slow down the overall writing of the Barracuda?

• 11 hours ago
  • 1 point

SMR drives are slow when doing random writes of more than what the internal cache can handle, usually a couple hundred meg. wikipedia has an article on shingled magnetic recording. They aren't so bad doing append-only sequential writes when not completely full.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube