add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Budget GPU for VR/HL Alyx

ps2cho
  • 6 days ago

I just got Half Life: Alyx for my Rift S and its great, however it really needs a lot of room space to interact with everything. I have a HTPC in my living room with tons of space to move around that has a R5 1600 in it...just needs a better GPU to be able to quickly and easily plug my VR into it.

What GPU would work well to play Half Life: Alyx on it for as cheap as possible? -Vega 56? ($250 on newegg) -1660ti? -1650 Super? -RX 580?

The Vega 56 although runs hot, seems like its significantly quicker than all the rest for the price...

Any thoughts?

Comments

• 5 days ago
  • 2 points

Get the GTX 1660S.

It costs less than the GTX 1660 Ti and it's almost as fast as the GTX 1660 Ti.

The Vega 56 should be ~10% faster, but it gets hotter and consumes way more as well.

• 5 days ago
  • 1 point

What about the 5600XT? Its a little more than the 1660S, but would it be worth the extra $?

• 5 days ago
  • 1 point

Once you are thinking of the 5600XT, get the 2060, more stable drivers.

• 4 days ago
  • 1 point

The 5600XT (preferable with 14Gbps memory out of the box) or a Nvidia 2060 would be a good choice.

Both are much more powerful than a 1650S.

https://tpucdn.com/review/sapphire-radeon-rx-5600-xt-pulse/images/relative-performance_1920-1080.png

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube