add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Should I Complain? COVID-19 Issue

yveshe
  • 6 days ago

So literally on the last day of March I'm finishing college. I've finished all my work requested and what's left are two final group meetings with fellow colleagues and my teachers. This majorly includes having everyone after graduation working. However, because of what's been happening, the college decided to extend the program until graduation day, when everything is in the clear regarding the virus.

With that said, I'm basically going to suffer through annoying video group chats which will probably include my very own presentation of my work. I like when things are done physically as intended, but I'm still asking if I should complain since there's less than a week until I finish? I'm not seeing any reason why to continue via video group chats for who knows how long when I'm less than a week away from graduation? Maybe postpone the graduation day that would be done physically, of course, but pretty much everything that's been taught has been conclude, hence final two meetings.

I'm sorry if this may reek of arrogance or selfishness, but the current situation formed a problem and not something I signed up for.

Comments

• 6 days ago
  • 2 points

Don't be sorry. You are frustrated and stressed as are a lot of people right now. You will get through this. While it will suck that they are dragging this out, the far more important thing is that you will have your degree.

• 6 days ago
  • 1 point

They said they'll drag this for the next three months and come up with some new subjects to work around. Don't know what to say to that...

• 6 days ago
  • 2 points

Everyone is in a similar situation; we all have to push through it.

• 6 days ago
  • 1 point

You reek of naivety if you think that everything will be in the clear regarding virus so soon given how "serious" your president is taking it all. Your president might pretend that in week or so, it will be business as usual if some of his resent statements were truly serious, but to rapidly increasing numbers of infected people it won't be bussines as usual.

Well thousands of people that died in agony didn't sign up for that. Same can be said about tens of thosands that will follow very, very soon.

• 5 days ago
  • 1 point

Like I said, these final two meetings (which one of them has already concluded) will be done via video group chats, not physically. Everything that we've learned is over. It's just preparation for graduation and all that stuff, but now it's delayed because of the virus. I UNDERSTAND that. My problem is, why continue and not postpone the graduation day? Why can't they conclude the meetings with us and update us on the graduation day in the upcoming months? Is it because of the isolation and they want to keep us occupied or something?

• 5 days ago
  • 1 point

For the same reason they waited with postponing Olympics. They wish to see how will situation develop. They don't wish to make any rash decisions.

If the "measures" that your President is taking workout fine and you find some miraculous cure and vaccine within a month or 2 instead of 18 months, things might calm down and could be business as usual again. HOWEVER, if the situation goes out off hand and it probably will, they can always postpone it later. Rest assured they have already prepared most of the measures and proper protocols in preparation for potentially postponing it once it becomes clear that it is needed. I fear things might become ugly for your people since you lack proper health system for everyone. Hopefully it won't be.

While most, if not all of the Europen countries(including poorest ones) have typically far superior(though not perfect) healthcare systems to the 1 in the USA(we don't send 34000$ hospital bills to the uninsured Corona virus infecties). It is in the entire continent's, the entire world's interest to locate, isolate and if possible cure those infected so that they don't unknowingly or knowingly, but usually unwillingly spreading virus all over the place. So it is free of charge. However, some of us were caught completely off guard. Others have underestimated situation and now they are paying for it regardless of healtcare superiority compared to you mighty country.

USA, the richest country in the world, shouldn't have allowed itself behaving as if it was were caught off guard. You saw the sudden explosion in Europe and did nothing to prepare and quickly contain it as much as unknown virus can be contained that is. Fearing giant bills that would make them homeless, people with simptoms , often don't go to testing in time if ever and will not unless those 2 trillions $ that Senat or maybe Congress recently approved isn't used to fix your health care system and from what I hear it will not be used for that...

• 5 days ago
  • 1 point

You know, I’ve always considered the American healthcare system to be superior to those of other countries, but it was recently shown to me in a convincing mathematical way how these Medicare for all plans could be superior to the current system. Since you’re on the topic of healthcare systems, do you want to chip in and tell me why and how a new system would be better, as well as what that new system would be?

• 5 days ago
  • 1 point

Are you serious?

You do NOT have proper health and social care that go hand in hand. To you everything is business. If millions of people(25 milion or so, which is more than 5x my country's total population) can't afford basic medical care, how is that superior to other countries? It's like treating people the same way as those on the death row(non-existent in Europe,also different topic). Worse even in some ways. Those on a death row have place to eat, sleep and are warm during cold winters. If I can't afford basic or relatively basic stuff, like a heart condition care or a flue or a cemotheraphy, why do I deserve to die or become homeless? WHY? You system is brutal & values only profit over life. Disgusting. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with profit via additional services such as boobs implants and stuff like that.

You come to Europe, you don't feel well, you go to public hospital and they will help you if they can. If not for free(you are a tourist without medical insurance in that country) then for some paltry sum. And don't worry, just because it is free, it doesn't mean it's crap. It is usually quite good. Not every country is the same of course since EU is far from United States of Europe(it will probably never happen), so there might be some services that are just partially covered by the government. Oh and not every European country is in EU. Most are, but even those that aren't have similar systems as far as I am aware off. It's not perfect, but it is faaaaar better than nothing at all.

Don't like public, free hospitals and love to pay thousands of something? There are private clinics and hospitals with latest and greatest equipment if necessary. But public hospitals often have decent equipment as well.

So in short: IF you can afford health insurance in the USA you can hope, even excpect to survive MOST illnesses probably. If you are poor however... it is either an early death sentence(sometimes literally because desparate people do desparate things that they normaly wouldn't...with guns that are mostly forbidden in Europe or if not forbidden , a special licences are required...but that is another topic) or a very a very stressful "life". Survaving , instead of living...

If you have additional questions or whatever, we can discuss it privately. If we continue here, Staff will likely see it as trolling and just erase it.

• 5 days ago
  • 2 points

If you want to continue in polar extremes, calling people naive, etc, then yes, I'll remove the whole comment thread. If you want to be civil and engage in legitimate discourse, then no.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube