add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Seperate SSds?

drew8716nc
  • 7 days ago

Was wondering if having a Separate SSD with one for OS and essential Software and a second for games and everything else would provide a boost in performance if you have a lot of tabs and other crap open while you're playing a game.

Comments

• 7 days ago
  • 1 point

You are not taxing the drives hard enough to even notice a difference. Just get what is cheaper per GB if you are considering one large drive or 2 smaller ones. Typically the one large drive would be cheaper.

• 7 days ago
  • 1 point

Like Tetsuclaw said, the performance difference would be negligible at best.

If you're doing stuff that would make it easier for you to keep track of files/folders across separate drives, then that's good enough reason to get smaller multiple drives. But if performance is your only real concern, I'd make the choice based off price since there isn't going to be a performance difference for the vast majority of users.

• 7 days ago
  • 1 point

there are 2 things I've come across where having them on separate drives has made a noticeable difference for me.

1. when updating a game sometimes there is a LOT of disc activity which pegs the disc usage. before I had separate drives this caused windows to act like I was on some garbage hardware with a full slow hdd. (then was fine after the update finished)

2. when I upgraded my CPU/mobo I reinstalled windows and then already had the games downloaded on the other drive so just a few clicks to get steam to realize they're already installed.

Otherwise I haven't seen a difference in performance. The reason I did end up with separate drives was because I was running out of room on my OS drive.

• 6 days ago
  • 1 point

As far as drives slowing down when a game is updating keep in mind that is very rare and it is different on a SSD today as your HDD that you mentioned. HDDs are just slow period.

Sure there is the convenience that if you need to wipe a drive and reinstall windows your other drive is untouched but that also adds the inconvenience of needing to manage what gets installed where and making sure you don't accidentally try to save too much to a smaller drive. Having one large drive does make managing space for both much simpler too. Just some pros and cons where both are not hard to deal with so to me cost is a larger factor.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube