add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Will I be able to transfer my W10 license to new hardware (was W7 Retail)

weeniebeenie

4 days ago

I've been getting some mixed answers to this via googling, hoping someone can give a definitive answer.

• I bought a retail boxed version of Windows 7 Home on launch. Full retail version that looked like this
  • Whilst it was still a W7 license I did a major hardware change once (New mobo, CPU)
  • Took the W10 upgrade offer early, has always been on the same hardware since then.

As I understand it my current W10 is activated via my MS account, not the product code that was on my W7 discs.

"Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft Account"

So, will I be able to de-activate the license on the current PC and activate it on 100% new hardware, or not? If so, which process do I need to undertake? The Windows website lists so many options.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Comments

• 4 days ago
  • 1 point

Since you upgraded a Windows 7 Retail license, you have a Windows 10 Retail license.

If it is linked to your Microsoft account, then you should be able to sign in to your Microsoft account on the new hardware and reactivate. Your old key also may work for reactivation. In short, either method may work.

If for some reason neither of the above work, Microsoft support should be able to help you since it is linked to your account and you have the original key.

• 3 days ago
  • 1 point

I was reactivating the same account/key on various machines (mainly virtual machines) and a few weeks ago I tried it on the original machine and it said something about it being used too many times.

But it's worth the try...worse case is you have to buy a new license.

• 7 hours ago
  • 1 point

Well, that would be against the license agreement since it is to be used on one pc etc. But you can call microsoft and they can unblock it for you. Of course, if you keep doing this then it will just get blocked again and they might not unblock it a second time.

• 7 hours ago
  • 1 point

It should work fine, I had some older all-in one PCs that had the Win7 to Win10 done, then moved them to new PCs afterwards. One had problems activating and I had to call microsoft. Even they had a hard time but eventually got it to work by remote controlling and running admin commands to reset stuff.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube