add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

M.2 NVME Boot Drive - Backup?

NewYorkGamer
  • 3 months ago

If I'm going to have two 1TB Samsung Evo Plus NVME M.2 SSD's ( one as windows OS ) , should I get a standard 2.5 drive for a solid Backup?. I hear everyone say the NVME SSDs are reliable now. But some do reccomend backup drives other than them. What's your opinion?. Should I get a 860 Evo as a backup drive to be safe?. Or rely on the M.2 duo?.

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

You have to have SOME backup unless you don't care about what's on your storage, or can easily replace it. The cheapest way to back up is generally to a small outboard USB hard drive. You can certainly back up to an SSD, but I don't think it's a cost effective way to operate for most people.

Backups aren't just to protect against hardware failure; they protect against operator failure as well - deleting the wrong files, etc.

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

You need to evaluate what you are backing up and why. There is no need to backup windows really for example, you can just reinstall it if needed. Same goes for most programs, games etc. What you want is your data really since that can't be recovered. That could be as little as a few gigabyte or a large amount of family photos/video etc. Options could be a flash drive or another storage drive. You defiantly do not need a 2.5" ssd, a cheaper HDD will do just fine. But this is all just data corruption/loss for backup. If you put another HDD or SSD in the PC and it catches on fire, well then that backup did absolutely nothing for you... so what you really want is a backup in a separate location. ie: backup to the flash drive and then put the flash drive somewhere else that won't get destroyed if your PC does or house catches on fire etc. Not everyone likes cloud backups but you could also just use google's free 15 GB online storage if it is just some data files. They will sync the data to/from your pc in those folders. Windows also comes with a free 5GB online OneDrive to do the same. There are others even but you get the picture. You can pay for more space, or even go with a dedicated cloud backup solution like blackblaze.

For example: I would not backup windows OS, program files, games etc. I would backup my home photos/videos, and any saved files (excel sheets, word documents etc.)

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube