add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Weird Boot Loop Issue

Haze159

10 days ago

I've been trying to do BIOS updates on my brothers computer so I can install the R5 3600 in his Gigabyte GAB350 Gaming motherboard. The instructions/order I'm supposed to update in seems to be, from my understanding,

1. Update to latest chipset driver
  2. Update BIOS to F31.
  3. Install EC FW Update Tool to avoid 4DIMM DDR compatibility on 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen CPU.
  4. Update to latest version and call it good there.

Now, the problem comes when I go to install the ec fw update tool. I run the program, and then it begins to restart his computer. However, it seems to enter a boot loop when it does this. It doesn't shut completely off, but there is no display or any lights on the keyboard. The fans inside the computer seem to rev up to max rpm, then slow down. It does this repeatedly. In order to make this stop, I've had to clear cmos by using the jumpers. This fixes the issue and his computer will work like normal from that point.

The weird problem is that it doesn't do any boot looping on its on. Without trying to install the update tool, I tried restarting the computer in multiple ways and it never once entered a boot loop. I've gone ahead to make sure all the ram sticks are seated correctly, and also pulled out the graphics card and put it back in as well.

Motherboard site: https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-AB350-Gaming-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios

Here's the build: PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 1400 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Processor $145.79 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard $117.16 @ Amazon
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory -
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $75.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $64.99 @ Adorama
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $48.30 @ Amazon
Video Card Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4 GB AMP! Omega Core Edition Video Card Purchased For $0.00
Case Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For $0.00
Power Supply SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $113.04 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $565.27
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-14 23:14 EST-0500

If there is any possible way to do this without requiring the purchase of another board would be great because my brother is being a stickler and doesn't want to spend any more money. Thanks.

Comments

• 9 days ago
  • 1 point

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube