add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Random HDD Corruption on new Harddrive

OptoCloud

12 days ago

Hi, I have a build i put together a year ago.

Specs:

• Delidded Intel I5 8600k

• Gigabyte Z390I MotherBoard

• 2xCorsair 8GB 3000MHz DDR4 ram

I have a 1 year old Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD in my pc that keeps getting corrupted files. Its not instant, but if i keep files on there for a month or so theres a small chance of them corrupting. I have reinstalled the OS, ran chkdsk, antivirus, checked temps, checked my other drives and everything seems ok.

Things keep on corrupting tho, and i cant seem to figure out why.

Could me delidding the CPU be a reason for data corruption? I was extremely careful with it and covered exposed testpoints on it.

I have had some bad experience with Gigabyte in terms of OC'ing where it whould crash if i even turned the clock up to 4.0GHz (+0.2 GHz (With a 850W PSU)), and where the rgb software was absolute garbage...

So if Gigabyte is just a bad producer and could be a reason for data corruption?

I have absolutley no idea why images keep getting invalid, videos keep getting "deepfried", and some of my folders on the harddrive becoming infinetly recursive (and when attempting to delete them they apperantley dont exist)

I have no idea where to even begin troubleshooting.

Comments

• 12 days ago
  • 2 points

I couldn't say for certain, but from what you say the HDD is the obvious suspect.

Either way, the first step in troubleshooting would be to swap out the drive (which is the endpoint of the data path) and see if the problem persists.

Depending on how important the data is to you, you might think about creating an immediate back-up as it's created.

• 12 days ago
  • 2 points

Can the computer pass a few hours of memtest86 and torture test prime95? If not, that might be the reason.

If the CPU and memory pass stress tests, the hard drive itself is the next obvious suspect. I'd say that's particularly likely if it's happening after time passes.

• 12 days ago
  • 1 point

Ill buy a new drive, swap it and then see if that fixes it

• 12 days ago
  • 1 point

I'd follow-up on kschendel's advice: he knows far more than I do.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube