add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is it possible to update the Gigabyte B450 Aorus M BIOS without a CPU installed?

Maxiride

13 days ago

In this part list that I am brainstorming I am warned that the BIOS might need to be updated first in order to use the Ryzen 5 3400G CPU.

I've searched on the manufacturer website and indeed the BIOS version F40 is needed. Given that I can't know if Amazon will ship a newer or older board I can't tell if I will receive an updated mobo or not.

I am googling around with mixed general results that some motherboards are actually capable of updating the BIOS without any component installed via USB but I can't pinpoint if this specific board can do that.

Does anyone know where to look for this info? Since I do not own any other compatible CPU that I could use to boot up and update the BIOS this could really be a dealbreaker on the purchase.

Comments

• 12 days ago
  • 2 points

Check this reddit link for a list of boards you can update without needing a cpu

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/bvfo57/list_of_b350_b450_x370_and_x470_motherboards_with/

The Actually Hardcore Overclocking youtube channel has a strong recommendation for the msi motar/max mobo.

• 12 days ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the link, very helpful!

• 12 days ago
  • 1 point

After some browsing this Asrock board which has similar capabilities of the Gigabyte one (hence a new possible candidate) has an "Instant Flash" utility that might work without a CPU installed.

Or even the Asrock X370M Pro 4 instead should be natively supporting the 3000 ryzen series.

• 12 days ago
  • 1 point

The B450m Pro4 needs a CPU to update. However, it appears that newegg at least are shipping Ryzen-3000 ready stock. (or, possibly I got lucky; I ordered one a couple weeks ago and it came with the Ryzen 3000 sticker.) So, ask yourself, "Do I feel lucky" ... :-)

• 12 days ago
  • 1 point

Too bad that new egg doesn't operate in EU, shipping costs are prohibitive =\

• 12 days ago
  • 1 point

I get that only MSI implements this function xD

Is there a way\list to see which mobo support 3rd gen ryzen "natively" without bios updates?

• 12 days ago
  • 2 points

All of the max boards I listed are already updated.

• 12 days ago
  • 1 point

Oh sorry I misunderstood

• 12 days ago
  • 2 points

the Asrock B450M AC also supports 3rd gen too

• 12 days ago
  • 1 point

Good to know! But do I have to go through every mobo manual to find this things out? I'd love a list of "native" 3rd gen ryzen compatibile mobos..

• 12 days ago
  • 2 points

you pretty much have to manually check every mobo you're considering, check if it supports ryzen 3rd gen with "all" of the BIOS versions in the compatibility lists they give

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 12 days ago
  • 1 point

Sadly Newegg doesn't operate in Italy nor EU (they ship very few things from their center in UK). The shipping costs make everything too pricey.

The only real reseller here is Amazon or local shops =(

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube