add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Airflow in sleeper in ~2005 case.

saucyb

13 days ago

So right around the time my dads ~2005 Dell dimension 3000 died, I wanted to get in to current PC gaming. I was wondering if this case https://ibb.co/hcTRHfc would have enough airflow for an i5 and rx580/590. I'd be willing to spend on fans/cooling, because I like the look, and this case is kinda important to me, cause I played tons of Yahoo web games, and roller coaster tycoon on it when I was like 6, so it's got a lot of sentimental value, so I'd really like to use it. Its surprisingly mATX compatible, so that's not a problem.

Any input would be very helpful. Thanks.

Edit: my dads still around, the pc died.

Comments

• 12 days ago
  • 1 point

Too hard to say from the single picture. Is it a standard brand case, or from a pre-built, or what?

• 12 days ago
  • 1 point

It's from a Dell Dimension 3000 prebuilt. I know the picture is kinda bad, but I dont have access to it at the moment.

• 12 days ago
  • 1 point

Looks like the only air intake is in the front? is there any bottom air intake? and does it have anything in the way of fans or fan mounts in front?

I don't think it's out of the question, but looking at the pictures it might be a little iffy unless you can get some good inflow from the front or elsewhere in the case, and a good rear exhaust fan.

• 12 days ago
  • 1 point

https://ibb.co/0qvJLj6

heres a better pic. Theres quite a big intake on the front, and if nessecary, I think the holes are spaced well enough to mount a fan with small bolts, like from the hardware store.

• 12 days ago
  • 1 point

Well, OK, that doesn't look too bad. The other thing I'd be concerned about is the front panel power switch connector; Dell had a reputation for nonstandard power / reset / panel LED cabling. That's by no means a stopper, but you might have to do a little soldering iron magic. Or not. Certainly it looks like you can get enough air moving for an RX 590 and a reasonable TDP CPU.

• 12 days ago
  • 1 point

When you say reasonable TDP, you mean like a thread ripper? that's reasonable right?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube