add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Trying to Decide on 2600x or 2700x/3600x Gaming

jpfender

13 days ago

Currently have i5-6400 & Gigabyte 4gb 1050TI

CPU hits 100% quite often, which causes frames to drop to 40fps (terrible). Settings aren't even set to high.

Game Played mostly is Rainbow 6 Siege.

Have been waiting for cyber monday, thinking hte 2700X would drop below the $159 it has been at but now its $200.

So....

Should I save some money and get a 2600x? or Get a 2700x - though the 3600x is same price...

Also - I will probably purchase a gpu upgrade in march. Not sure what that will be but bday is in march so it'll be a present and whatever is around $200.

Comments

• 13 days ago
  • 2 points

CPU hits 100% quite often, which causes frames to drop to 40fps (terrible). Settings aren't even set to high.

Game Played mostly is Rainbow 6 Siege.

Settings don't have much effect on CPU load and mostly only effect GPU performance.

That being said R6 is a terribly easy title to run for a CPU and even slower low end models like the 1200/2200G at stock can keep minimum frame rates over 60fps.

Its very likely you have something else using up system resources causing the slowdowns.

As for an upgrade go for a 2600+aftermarket cooler/2600X depending on which is cheaper, and save the extra to get a 1660 Super or RX 5700. Gaming performance levels off fast after the 2600/2600X and you end up spending a lot more for very little gain.

• 13 days ago
  • 1 point

Gilroar, thank you for taking the time to reply.

I'm pretty new to the whole build it yourself scene. I had a pc i bought 10 years ago from ibuypower but that was a mistake as I didn't know what I was doing and ended up with something that was guaranteed to be overpriced.

The CPU is for my wife's computer. I bought her a refurbed M32CD (Asus) back in 16 for 320$ and we've been gradually upgrading that, with the GPU last year being a 1050TI. Little did I know the 1050TI would be so underwhelming for what she wants to use it for.

Right now we are wanting to upgrade her CPU/Mobo as we are hoping that these strange CPU issues will go away. Everything I have read says that the i5-6400 and the 1050Ti should run flawlessly but theres too often where she will be playing and then all of a sudden the cpu hits 100% or close, which would lead me to a heat issue if it weren't for the fact that this has even happened when shes just freshly turned it on. Most of the time a reboot fixes it and it won't come back but still..

Could be a bios issue?

Either way, a new CPU/Mobo I'm hoping will be a good increase. Unfortunately I can't budget in a GPU again for her with this, as I want to get her the 144hz monitor first. I'm hoping with the 2600x + mobo and the 1050 she will be able to game alot more reliably. her bday is in march tho, so come march I can surprise her with a beefier GPU. No 2050 but hopefully a 1660 or something better thats around 200$ come march.

• 13 days ago
  • 2 points

Everything I have read says that the i5-6400 and the 1050Ti should run flawlessly but theres too often where she will be playing and then all of a sudden the cpu hits 100% or close, which would lead me to a heat issue if it weren't for the fact that this has even happened when shes just freshly turned it on. Most of the time a reboot fixes it and it won't come back but still..

If a reboot fixes it for a time it isn't the CPU being overloaded or a BIOS issue. That sounds like something running or trying to run sneakily in the background.

I would go for a full reset/reinstall of Windows and it wouldn't hurt to do a good cleaning of the system to make sure you don't have a dust build up causing thermal issues which isn't likely giving the symptoms.

Because your research is right a 6400+1050ti shouldn't have issues running that title with reduced settings at reasonable frame rates.

• 13 days ago
  • 1 point

When you do a full re-install of windows does that mean you have to repurchase windows as well? The machine came with windows - so it would suck to have to full on purchase another license key for it...

• 12 days ago
  • 1 point

No, I'd assume you'd use the same licence key (you haven't changed the motherboard, so you should be fine)

• 13 days ago
  • 2 points

I'm with Gilroar, this doesn't feel right. You may have some sort of rogue or unexpected background process eating up CPU.

You don't want to be spending money on new hardware when in fact it might be the required clean reinstall that fixes whatever is going on here.

• 13 days ago
  • 1 point

I'm going to look into the reinstall but my question would be do i have to purchase a windows key to do this? Also - Her old board is a H110M that came with the desktop. Would simply keeping the I5-6400 and replacing the board (big savings) do the trick?

• 12 days ago
  • 1 point

No, you simply record your windows key beforehand and use the same one. It's highly unlikely that the board itself has anything to do with whatever the problem is.

• 12 days ago
  • 1 point

I'll have to look into that. Still going to replace with a 2600x since either way its a newer chip and also an upgrade (at least according to benchmark website)

• 13 days ago
  • 1 point

If only gaming I'd go the Ryzen 5 route. With the 3600x giving much better single thread performance.

What ram do you currently have? and what mobo are you looking at getting?

• 13 days ago
  • 1 point

Right now she is mainly gaming with it, but in the fast has tried streaming so i would probably like to keep that option open. After doing some research on the board I am thinking of getting the MSI B450 Tomahawk? I was going to go with the ROG Strix but seen there were some issues with the RAID. For ram I have 2 sticks of G.Skill Ripjaw 3000mhz. (2x8gb)

• 13 days ago
  • 1 point

If wanting to stream (and for future) an 8 core would probably do better. 3000mhz is better matched to the ryzen 2000 cpu's, 3000 series would like 3600mhz better. So my vote would be the 2700/x (which ever is a better price for you).

The tomahawk is an awesome board from what I hear! I have the strix but don't use raid so can't comment on that haha

• 13 days ago
  • 1 point

I'm actually leaning toward the 2600x - as its the same price as the regular 2600 right now. Her 16gb of 3000mhz ram that I bought for it last year should be good? Also - I keep getting suggested a MicroATX Board. IS there any disadvantage to having one of those? The price savings is tempting.

• 12 days ago
  • 1 point

2600X is a good choice, would have less cores for gaming though when she is streaming. And no you gain nothing with a matx board other than smaller size and typically less connectivity. Typically an atx board will have more features but a matx will be better priced and fit in a smaller case. yes 3000mhz is good for ryzen 2000 series, as long as it has a good cas rating/timings

• 12 days ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the tidbit on the Ram cas rating/timings. I'll have to look into that, as I'm not familiar. I have some G.skill Ripjaw 3000mhz ddr4 I bought last year but I don't know the timing. I decided to go with the 2600x and the tomahawk max. Got a good deal on the board through microcenter.

• 12 days ago
  • 1 point

Get a 2600 or a 3600

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube