add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Rebuild using salvaged parts following failed motherboard

Toplering

4 days ago

Yesterday, the motherboard on my desktop failed. I'm keen to get it sorted pretty quickly, so don't have the time to do the research I would normally want to do (which is generally quite time consuming given my current lack of knowledge to use as a starting point). I'm not current at all on recent hardware. I'm planning to get a new motherbaord and so far as sensible salvage the rest of the parts from the failed system. The system is not particularly recent but was still mostly powerful enough for my needs. Having said that, who doesn't want something a bit beefier? My current usage is occasional gaming (most modern games are no problem, but a few have started showing slight shortcomings) and I also tend to run virtual machines (mainly for creating separate environments for learning programming and testing server side operations), these sometimes struggle. I also do some video editing from desktop recording and video capture.

Two questions really: 1) Any recommendations on what motherboard I should go for with this list of parts? 2) If I'm going to update anything else, it would be a good time to do it. Any recommendations on any other upgrades/additions/replacements that might be worthwhile at this time? What might the main bottleneck on this system be?

Almost forgot - this is my salvaged part list https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Toplering/saved/#view=xKFV7P It's not all exact, some parts don't appear to be listed, e.g. my actual PSU is EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply - so 850 w, not the 650w I listed.

Comments

• 4 days ago
  • 2 points

The biggest issue with this might be finding a compatible mobo, so it would probably be a good idea to get a new CPU/mobo combo. Your GPU is also pretty old, but still serviceable. This would be a good time to upgrade that IMO. Are you sure your PSU didn't have anything to do with this computer failing?

You should probably establish a budget, it's easy to just start upgrading everything. Personally I would do a CPU/mobo/PSU at the minimum, then a GPU if your budget allows.

• 4 days ago
  • 1 point

I'm pretty confident the PSU isn't the problem. I haven't noticed any issues, increased noise or anything. Is there any reason to change the PSU ahead of need? My presumption/hope is that it still has a lot of life left in it, and it's not a part where upgrading shows any performance benefit.

It's pretty difficult to establish a budget, it would be pretty arbitrary. Bottom line is I'm prepared to spend whatever is required (or rather, what is best value for money), but keen not to spend more than is required - if that makes sense! I don't need or insist upon the most powerful, or top of the range or anything like that - I prefer best bang for my buck. (So I don't want to go cheap, where I need to upgrade again within 12 months, nor go top of the range where you pay a large premium for cutting edge).

If I went for CPU/mobo/PSU+GPU then I might be tempted to look at new ready made system rather than "new" build myself. I built my current system myself (first new build) and found it quite fiddly, difficult and "dangerous" - the risk of my damaging parts is probably greater than any cost saving! I didn't find everything that intuitive (but doing the build myself was a great educational experience at the same time)

Thanks for your thoughts. It's really helpful.

• 4 days ago
  • 2 points

It's just easy to imagine the power delivery to the mobo contributing to the failure. If you don't know for sure that the psu has an issue you put the new build at risk again.

Your current cpu would be fine performance wise for today, you just have to take a risk on a used mobo, or way overspend on a new old stock mobo.

• 4 days ago
  • 1 point

That's persuasive enough for me. I'll make sure to renew the PSU (whichever route I take)

• 4 days ago
  • 2 points

Depends on how much you want to spend? :D

Prices for new x99 boards onsite are ~£350-750 but you might be able to pick one up cheaper second hand if you don't mind that?

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#sort=price&page=1

Ofc that leaves you at your current performance level which doesn't sound ideal so if you're looking for more of an upgrade I'd probably think about and cpu/mobo/ram combo with a new ryzen cpu (ryzen has a performance benefit with fast ram so reusing the 2133 you have atm would hamper you).

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-Ryzen-7-3700X-vs-Intel-i7-5820K/3485vs2340

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor £289.99 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard £98.47 @ More Computers
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory £73.19 @ Amazon UK
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £461.65
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-09 15:30 GMT+0000
  • 4 days ago
  • 1 point

Thanks that's helpful.

Similar to fourdegrees11 it looks like you think I need to upgrade more than as I was expecting/hoping for. I appreciated my system was not "new" any more, but thought it was still relatively powerful, however it's soundling like I might see benefits through a bit of a more substantial upgrade.

As I said in my response to fourdegrees11, I might then be more tempted to go for a pre assembled system, rather than a personal build in the case of needing a more substantive upgrade. That might even make more sense with Black Friday coming up (though I'm not sure I really want to wait that long, however cost savings might make that make more sense)

Many thanks for your thoughts.

• 4 days ago
  • 2 points

Just be careful with prebuilts that sound like a great deal for the cpu and gpu. Usually that means they cheaped out on a lot of other crucial components

• 4 days ago
  • 2 points

Well... I would say I don't think you need to upgrade but it did sound a little like you were starting to have some use/desire for one, I think a big factor would be availability and price of used mobos, if you can find one for £100 or so then that seems like a quick and easy fix but if you have to get a new one for ~£350 then adding another hundred to that for a pretty decent cpu upgrade doesn't seem like much of jump, imo, but ofc it's not my money :D

Another option would be to upgrade in a more piecemeal fashion, while ram speed has an effect on ryzen performance your 2133 will certainly work as a stop gap giving you an immediate upgrade cost for a 3700x/mobo at less than a new x99 board, which seems like a good route to me if you can't find/don't want a used one.

Oh if you do get a ryzen cpu you'll need a mounting kit for your cooler as amd changed the hole spacing for their new cpus (vs their older cpus that your mounting hardware would be compatible with), but they're available for pretty cheap (under £10) from amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Noctua-NM-A4-UXS-Mounting-Fans-Black/dp/B01N5UOPOB

• 3 days ago
  • 1 point

Thankyou, at the moment that's sounding like the most sensible way forward for me. RAM is simple enough to upgrade at any time by itself in the future if needed. And GPU not much more tricky.

A second hand board doesn't hold much appeal to me, so I wouldn't go down that route. (Problems appear widespread enough with new boards, let alone second hand ones - and the minefields are too great for someone like me with limited knowledge on the subject).

I'd add on a new PSU to your list, on the back of the comments from fourdegrees11, so looks like I'm looking at: Ryzen 3700x mobo + CPU CPU cooler Mounting kit (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Noctua-NM-A4-UXS-Mounting-Fans-Black/dp/B01N5UOPOB) PSU

Any specific recommendations? Hotukdeals is always my first stop for online purchases, but I've no idea what I'm looking at here - is this a good deal for the CPU? Any specific recommendations for the mobo? https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/amd-ryzen-7-3700x-cpu-game-pass-3326682

EDIT I notice mobo recommendations in the link I posted to HUKD.

• 3 days ago
  • 2 points

Might go down a little more for Black Friday, but I would get it if you really need a new CPU.

• 3 days ago
  • 2 points

You're welcome :D

That's as good a price for the cpu as is available by the looks of it, pcpartpicker generally does a really good job of listing a lot of online shops (not always all tho) so it's usually pretty easy to find the best prices.

Yeah those 2 mobo recommendations on the hukd page are both really popular and good options, the tomahawk is actually (per the link to amazon) the max variant which msi uses to denote that the board has already had the bios updated to make it compatible with 3rd gen cpus (b450 (and x470) mobos were originally released for 2nd gen ryzen).

The gaming pro carbon ac will probably need you to do the bios update yourself but that's easy to do with the bios flashback feature the board has, see the youtube video via the reddit page linked on that same hukd page.

For psus I usually like seasonic but there's some issue with their cheaper focus line apparently (not sure I really understand what's going on tbh) but there's lots of other options still ofc, I see a lot of recommendations here for bitfenix atm and these 2 models have good reviews via & a recommendation from the realhardtechx psu database.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/DQx9TW,B8RFf7/ http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/BITFENIX.htm

Corsair, evga and all the other big name psu brands still have good options too ofc.

The pcpartpicker wattage estimate for your build is 450w and it's usually on the high side so I would say a 650w unit would be perfectly fine for you.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor £289.99 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard £98.47 @ More Computers
Power Supply BitFenix Formula Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply £74.59 @ CCL Computers
Custom Noctua NM-AM4-UxS Mounting Kit for Noctua CPU coolers on AMD AM4 platforms £6.49 @ Overclockers.co.uk
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £469.54
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-09 22:28 GMT+0000
  • 3 days ago
  • 2 points

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1093286-why-you-shouldnt-buy-a-seasonic-focus-plus-goldplatinum/

but there's some issue with their cheaper focus line apparently

Here you go.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube