add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Advice for working at home

floridaboz

4 days ago

First of all, i wanted to let you all know that i moved into my new home, i was living in a pretty crappy trailer, and well, things over the last several months have started to look up. I am in a older but very decent house. little 3 bedroom, i still have my mom staying with me since she has issues getting around (bad legs, knees, neck, back...)

The added bonus is i know have my home office, and i have a few ideas on how to make it work good, but i wanted to hear from others who have worked from home, and now things went with them, and how they made the work at home life better.

I just set my office up tonight, kind of a pain to cable manage 3 monitors when i have a table (i needed something 6 foot wide for my 3 27 inch monitors)

But this is my first post from my home office....

EDIT: I wanted to add this quick edit, more info can be found on comments below, but this is what my home office work station looks like.
https://i.imgur.com/NhKXM6Y.jpg

Comments

• 4 days ago
  • 2 points

One of my sisters works from her home office almost exclusively, her biggest thing is a solid internet connection. It'd be hard to see much of a difference otherwise, her office is bigger than most I've seen, but, all the stuff you'd find in an office building, (serious copier, file cabinets, work table, sitting area), is there. Her hours are pretty much the same, she just doesn't commute. She was able to raise/home school her daughter, (whose grown now), and I'd say it worked very well for her. I think she was one of the early adopters of "work at home", but her job is one that really lends itself to the concept. It really doesn't matter where her work space is as long as she has a solid connection. EDIT: She works for an engineering/contracting company. She sources the wire,conduit, outlets, switches, circuit panels, all that stuff, gets it into shipping containers, gets it delivered where and when it's needed, you get the idea.

• 2 days ago
  • 1 point

that sounds really nice, my office is 10 x 12 feet, but was able to put my big multi display, will have my server over see, and i even have the standard ugly office couch....

just to get a idea, i have 3 27 inch 1080 monitors, 1 43 inch tv (monitor above) sadly for right now it is sitting on a 6 foot long walmart desk. to my right i have my ugly office couch. near the back i have my trash can, coffee pot and paper shredder, and behind me is another desk. It is where i will have my server soon, and a headless unit. I am also sitting on a pretty nice serta (bought from walmart) executive chair.

Here is a picture, i know those wires look crazy right now, but i will fix that in the near future. yes i took this picture in the middle of writing this post if you can see it that clearly. yes, i am looking for a headphone hanger as well in case someone wants to ask if i plan on just leaving my headset here.. remember, the office has only been around for like 3 days.

• 2 days ago
  • 2 points

You'll be fine I think. My job requires that I work in an office building, so working at home isn't going to happen. But I'm moving this week to an apartment only 5 or 6 blocks away so my commute will be radically shorter. (it's about 45 minutes now) I'm not tied to a desk though, so even though it's kind of a cube farm, I'm really only there a couple of hours maybe. Taking care of the building and transporting disabled staff and consumers means I spend most of my day moving around doing stuff. I don't think I'd like a real office job anyway, and it'd be a waste of my talents. Patti, (my sister) has her office in the typical suburban 2 car garage, it's been completely officized so now it's impossible to tell it was a garage. In her case it works because she can't drag her stuff all over the place, so she travels electronically. Wires and stuff don't bother me much, as long as it isn't a tangled mess. I just bundle 'em into "runs" and call it good. (wiring harness style)

• 3 days ago
  • 2 points

Good luck. I have a family member that does that, he is on calls with groups around the country all the time. Its a project management thing for a large company. He says it has good and bad points, like you never see people but not commuting is nice. He says sometimes he feels trapped just due to how many hours he is at home. Some people work in PJs all day while others would never do that, you will have to figure out what works for you. You should be able to find some temp furniture, one office I was in we bought fold up tables from sams club to get going. They were handy for other things too.

• 2 days ago
  • 1 point

Most of the time i am on a set schedule, and i work with overseas offices, so i have to be around for them. I have a few temp things set up, and i few things that will stay for a while, but for the most part i moved my office office, into my home office. so it kind of feels the same, however i did a few personal perks to make things work out better for me

• 2 days ago
  • 2 points

He gets that too, sometimes he has east coast and west coast the same day and with time zones that makes for a really long day. Well that helps having some office equipment. Once I was able to get an old cube from a receptionist area. It is actually a very nice unit and heavy. Anyway set that up as a home office got lateral files and everything, its really ideal, have used it for many years and don't plan on moving it.

• 2 days ago
  • 1 point

I decided when things are more calmed down, i am just going to build a custom desk. I have 6 foot desks, and 8 to 6 feet L shaped desks, but i need 7 feet. But right now i bought a 6 foot folding table from walmart and this is what it ended up looking like, not to bad.. 3 27 monitors and 1 43 inch 4k monitor..

the space between the 2 walls is right at 7 feet.

• 2 days ago
  • 2 points

Wow that is a lot of monitor, looks good. I have one 27 and not sure what to get next but its only for home stuff and games.

• 2 days ago
  • 2 points

I've worked from home for the last 20 years or so. It's definitely not for everyone; most importantly, you need the self-discipline to dig in when you don't really feel like doing whatever it is you're supposed to be doing. I'd suggest sticking fairly close to a schedule at first, even if you don't have to, until you're confident in your ability to crack on if necessary, even when it's nice out and the swimming pool is calling.

The isolation is an issue for many people; it helps if you're naturally a bit monastic, or if you can arrange regular visits to an office. The biggest plus of course is the freedom to work when you want (within reason, of course), step outside for a bit when it's lovely, get up early or sleep late, etc.

Consciously work on your teleconferencing skills, and be religious about your backups and network / wifi security since you don't have IT on the spot to do it for you.

• 2 days ago
  • 1 point

All very good advice, i do plan on staying on a work schedule. I plan to get up every day, get dressed for work, and go to work. I think of it as just a shorter driver to work. Due to the nature of my job, i cant really work when i want, because i deal with overseas a lot, and i need to be around at the right time.

I do most all my communication through text, email whatsapp, even when i was in the office. so i rarely talk to people, and when i was at the office, i was there by myself 90 percent of the time (i liked it). It helped my production more than hurt it. As far as the IT stuff goes.... I am the IT, so all the backups, network, firewalls, will be handled because as you know, security comes natural to most in the IT field.

Thank you for your input.

• 2 days ago
  • 2 points

Timezones are so much fun - not! I deal with a team that's partly in Germany, a couple in England, two or three here in US Eastern time, and a few on the west coast. We also have people in Sydney and Bangalore. So there's never a time that works for everyone and sometimes you have to suck it up and do a 2 AM call because it's your turn.

There's an old Dilbert that's entirely applicable, where he's in a telecon holding a neatly dressed Dilbert doll up to the camera, while he's in a ratty old bathrobe. There have been times when I've put tape over my laptop camera, just to make sure someone doesn't accidently see something they can't unsee...

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube