add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

gaming monitor advice

deathdreams
  • 3 months ago

I am totally lost trying to find a monitor, I am building a system and plan on getting the I9 9900k and either a 2080 super or ti (waiting for Black Friday) ... I am pretty sure I want IPS, 144hz, but stuck stuck on size and resolution. Is 4k worth it on a monitor or would I be better off getting a wide 1440? Looking to spend $500-$700 on Black Friday, any suggestions. I am getting desperate enough to go down to the local Best Buy and asking for advice....

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 3 points

There are some new high refresh rate, low response time IPS gaming monitors that might fit what you're looking for. I'm keeping an eye on prices and reviews for the ASUS VG27AQ and the LG 27GL850. Those are both Freesync monitors with certified G-Sync compatibility rather than pure G-Sync, however. If that's an issue, I know LG is also releasing the 38GL950, which is a pure G-Sync monster of a display but also well outside your stated price range. Still, there may be something more reasonable that, like the displays I mentioned, is pure G-Sync and has an IPS display that has overcome some of the "traditional" limitations of that panel type.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

It depends on what games you play. Some games are more graphic intense than others and will bring an RTX 2080 Ti to its knees at 4k.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

like rdr2

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I am pretty sure I want IPS, 144hz,

For a high refresh gaming IPS tends to have issues leading to very few decent quality panels without downsides.

And a high end TN or VA panel are going to be just as good or better then a poor to mid grade IPS.

You really want to go through reviews on the specific model your looking at.

but stuck stuck on size and resolution.

Depends on the focus of the build.

Is 4k worth it on a monitor or would I be better off getting a wide 1440?

Wide 1440P are generally higher refresh and if you take advantage of that higher refresh they are harder graphically to run then a 4k@60hz screen leading to lower quality settings along with the lower resolution.

I am getting desperate enough to go down to the local Best Buy and asking for advice....

Do it. Actually seeing monitors is the best way to see what suits you as everyone's eyes are different as are their preferences.

Advice will be give and take for the above reason, although any decent salesperson will also keep you away from products that have issues, so they don't have to deal with you later when your unhappy.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I have been away from gaming for a couple years now but I want to get back into it. I will be playing a little bit of everything but mostly racing games and fps. I really want to see the "wow factor" ... No not World of Warcraft

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Anyone know anything about the Samsung CRG90?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07L9HCJ2V/ref=psdcmw_1292115011_t1_B07PJQKLTW

My TV just died and I can still return it was thinking about just getting a monitor that is large enough to watch movies on too...

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

There is very little support for displays of this format (32x9), so keep that in mind.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, I really want a larger immersive screen but want games and apps to support it too...

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube