add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New laptop for mom

Ragingboar

4 days ago

My mom's had a Windows 7 laptop for 12 years or so, it has a problem with the HDMI port where sound won't play from the TV when the laptop's plugged in. This is pretty annoying when the family wants to watch a movie or TV show on Amazon. It has multiple other issues such as, a power cord that is loosly connected to the laptop (falls out If the laptop is moved at all) this then leads to it dying quickly because of a bad battery. Lastly USB ports that malfunction occasionally. Windows 10 is the reason she doesn't want buy something new.

With all that said l want to get her a new laptop.

Comments

• 4 days ago
  • 1 point

Run 'Audio Troubleshooter' just to eliminate that a possible culprit.

Try using a different HDMI cable

Use a tiny bit of silicone adhesive to hold the power cord

For the USB port issue, go into 'Device Manage' and see if there are any driver issues with the USB.

Curious, what brand and model number of Laptop?

A replacement battery doesn't cost that much.

How offend do you perform maintenance of her PC? There are plenty of 'how to' video's on Youtube.

A replacement budget Laptop with Windows 100 cost about $250 -$350 Some good brands are Lenovo , Dell, or HP.

Look for something with an Intel Quad-core i5-xxxx Processor , 500MB to 1TB size SSD for storage. 8 GB of Ram. Most are 15.6" size Display.

• 4 days ago
  • 1 point

It's an HP, unsure of the model number. The battery has been replaced, It's probably more of an electrical issue. That's the only time it's been maintained.

• 4 days ago
  • 1 point

It tool will show which components are installed. os, cpu, ram, motherboard, graphics, storage, optical drive, and audio.

https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy/download

Speccy - find the details of your computer's specs. Great for spotting issues or finding compatible upgrades. Download the latest version free.

Here's another neat tool to check out:

https://www.belarc.com/products_belarc_advisor

• 1 day ago
  • 1 point

It's an HP

That's already bad enough.

• 4 days ago
  • 1 point

I would wait for Black Friday for the better deals I think, what is the total budget?

• 4 days ago
  • 1 point

$300 max.

• 4 days ago
  • 1 point

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspiron-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i3-8gb-memory-128gb-ssd-black/6373813.p?skuId=6373813

Here's what I found, very small storage though if that's ok? Or maybe you can build her a pc, if you'd like

• 4 days ago
  • 1 point

You can buy a new laptop with ssd an win10 then use a virtual machine of win7 in the latop

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube