add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

AIO pump connection to motherboard

Mephistopt
  • 4 months ago

Hi guys I'm trying to connect a cooler master ml 360 rgb tr4 to my asus extreme alpha motherboard, but I'm not certain where to connect the 3 pin connector from the pump, does it goes into cpu opt or cpu fan? I've connected the 3 way splitter to the cpufan connection, is it right? I'm still waiting the RAM so the pc is still offline. I'm putting 3 more Fans in the case. And I'm thinking connecting them to the fan controller that came with the motherboard, but I'm not sure where to connect the fan controller. Can someone help?

Thanks

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

It doesn't matter. I've tried both and it makes no difference. Some boards don't like it if you turn it on without a fan or pump connected to the CPU FAN header. It really doesn't matter though.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. I've read that the most secure scenario is to check the pump speed. It as to be running always at full speed. Correct?

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

You don't have to always have the pump running at full speed. At least for me, I've been always using either NZXT or Corsair so I've always set the pump speeds in CAM or iCUE (I've never messed with pump speeds in UEFI/BIOS). I generally run the pump on the "balanced" setting which is usually around 80% I think. I wouldn't run it lower than that if you ever mess with it. If you don't touch it in your BIOS, I think it always does just run at max by default.

[comment deleted]
  • 4 months ago
  • 1 point

The primary CPU_FAN1 header is best. Other WPUMP/OPT will do the job just fine, only the CPU_FAN1 header sees better user-end support with warnings when pumps/fans cease function.

Most boards (if not all) will require populating the primary CPU_FAN1 header for the mobo to boot.

Yep use the included fan controller for all additional fans. This will allow you to sync and control all fans via the mobos dedicated q-fan application. If you're running RGB case fans make sure these are compatible with Aura Sync or you'll be locked into using the fan manufacturers proprietary applications which means having to run 2 applications to get the RGB profiles in motion (it works fine but some may prefer a single controller for a universal sync).

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. I'm connecting the AIO fans to CPU_FAN1 and the pump to CPU_OPT. As I said in the other reply, I think that I have to be sure that the pump is always working at full speed. Does the extreme alfa have a specific connection port to plug the AIO pump?

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. I'm connecting the AIO fans to CPU_FAN1 and the pump to CPU_OPT. As I said in the other reply, I think that I have to be sure that the pump is always working at full speed.

Yep that will work. You can set the OPT to full speed in BIOS via the Q-fan control option.

Does the extreme alfa have a specific connection port to plug the AIO pump?

Yep you have the W_PUMP header. It's just a fancy name and runs the same as CPU_FAN/OPT. Only difference being, W_PUMP is already set to full speed. Most of the motherboards I've used in the last few years usually have the PUMP header located at the centre half of the board where the cable connections are visible through the glass window - hence i've avoided this header every time and opted for the CPU_FAN/OPT (i prefer the clean finish).

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube