add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

2080Ti comparison

StevieG998
  • 5 months ago

I'm looking to water cool a 2080ti and I was looking at the Asus Dual OC 2080Ti... is something like that fine or am I better off spending an extra $200 on the Asus ROG Strix OC variation?

I suppose my question is do you pay the extra money for a better card or better cooling? Because if it's the cooling then the dual would be the same as the Strix on water.

I'm also not against going with an EVGA card if anyone has any suggestions.

Cheers.

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 3 points

I would definitely go with the Dual OC card. The Strix OC has a custom AIB PCB, which means that while it does have a slightly better VRM, it isn't compatible with most water blocks. For example,

https://www.ekwb.com/configurator/waterblock/3831109810453

The EK Vector block is compatible with the Dual OC but not the Strix card. Note that there are some blocks made specifically for the Strix card, but not as much selection.

For the extra $200 you get a better cooler (irrelevant if you're going to watercool) and a custom PCB with a slightly better VRM, although the VRM on the Dual OC is already quite good... so it will likely make little difference on how high of an OC you can get.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

After a bit more research I've found that adding a water block to an EVGA card doesn't void the warranty.

From what I can work out EVGA have four cards that are readily available to me:

• Black ($1799)
  • XC Gaming ($1999)
  • XC Ultra ($2099)
  • FTW3 ($2349)

Is this the same situation with the ASUS cards? Will I only be paying for a better cooler and a very minimal increase in performance or is the lower tier EVGA not even worth a thought?

Thanks for your help

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

I would go with the XC Ultra, as the other 3 are non A chip cards. EVGA seems to be the best in regards to warranty when watercooling and customer service from what I've read. It's the same between all manufacturers, you don't want a custom PCB card if you're planning on watercooling and avoid the non A chip cards. Pick a manufacturer you're comfortable buying and get the cheapest A chip reference PCB card they offer.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

I'm still new to all of this but I found this page to be very useful.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/69-nvidia/1706276-official-nvidia-rtx-2080-ti-owner-s-club.html

Basically, if you're planning on watercooling, just pick up the cheapest reference PCB card you can find and stay away from the non A chip cards. All you're paying extra for is better cooling and slightly better VRM.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

So, coming from someone that has a FTW3 i can tell you that the cooling on it is WAY overkilll for now. I have yet to find a game that will bring it to over 68C. Battlefield V in 4K DLSS & Ultra brings the card to 64C. Control in 4K DLSS & Ultra brings it to 68C. The card is massively overcooled (at least for now). I have the card overclocked +100 core & 1000 VRam

Even running synthetic benchmarks the card coasts at 68. Besides trying to kill the card by adding voltage...(an expensive proposition) I don<t see the end of this card yet.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

You're paying for better cooling and better binned parts like the GPU and memory. For instance, my 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra from EVGA can do +100 core and +1000 memory easily like another user posted here. All of that with the same ~68C load temp (with ambient temp of 26-27C in my room). If you can afford a higher priced model, you probably should get it. At least comparing to a youtuber who was showing benchmarks for the EVGA 2080 Ti Black (similar CPU and RAM playing at 1440p max settings so more GPU bound anyway), my FTW3 Ultra in the same spot in Battlefield 5 was giving me +15-20fps while playing at a higher resolution (1440p ultrawide). I know that is pretty dramatic, but part of it is likely because that 2080 Ti Black was likely throttling at 85C while mine was still at 68C. But again, better binned parts and better cooling.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube