add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need help for best connectivity

Hockey30

12 days ago

So I moved into a guest house (attached behind a garage which is attached to landlords house) for law school.

The wifi comes with rent (which is access to their wifi password) but it is a terrible signal for gaming. We share the same address (I do not have a different address from theirs) and my apartment/ guest house is on a different power circuit.

However, I do have cable TV and there is a coax in the wall in my living room.

What can I do so that I can receive better internet in my apartment? I've done research and power line is out of the question, and so is wiring ethernet all the way to their modem.

1. Can I get my own modem, plug it into the coax and use internet that way?
  2. Would I be able to use MoCa without having my landlord install something additional in their home?
  3. Or do I have to resort to a wifi extender and live with terrible internet...

Please Help :( </3

Comments

• 12 days ago
  • 1 point

Additionally, can I use a cable to ethernet adapter cord? Plug it into the wall then plug it into my PC for internet connection?

• 11 days ago
  • 1 point
  1. No.
  2. No.
  3. Correct, unless you connect MoCA as intended by connecting to home's main router and your outlet.
  • 11 days ago
  • 1 point

I could do MoCa they're very easy going but neither of us are tech savy and not sure if they even know if the coax in their house is connected to the coax in my apartment

• 10 days ago
  • 1 point

You should be able to get a modem placed in your house, just ask the homeowner and tell them you will pay any extra charge, That will get you a direct cable. Always buy your own modem dont rent it from the cable company, their like 60 bucks at wally world .

• 10 days ago
  • 1 point

But why pay $50 a month + $ for modem when 2 adapters are $120? Im not gonna be here permanently

• 11 days ago
  • 1 point

Ask if they can run an ethernet cable to your area from the router

• 11 days ago
  • 1 point

Where would MoCa be setup in these 2 layouts? we narrowed it down to these. I know the layout for the adapter in my apartment but not sure of adapter #1, also do we NEED a POE filter? and if so, where?

https://imgur.com/a/xkjL4YD

• 10 days ago
  • 1 point

Here is a better sketch of the coax layout on the property

https://imgur.com/a/lf3sexe

• 10 days ago
  • 1 point

would this be the correct way to set up moca adapters?

https://imgur.com/a/PphzMfM

• 8 days ago
  • 1 point

I would also suggest going with a separate ISP instead of sharing the connection. Although this might not work depending on where the demarcation point is and if the ISP provider will run a line from there or not. If they will, may be an additional cost. Do you have any idea what bandwidth they are paying for and how many devices they have connected? There are many things that impact performance.

• 8 days ago
  • 1 point

Well, I do not have a separate address. I share the same residential address as them so no "A" or "B" labeled. This means that any extra Line/Modem/ISP for me would have to be added permanently their billing account. It just seemed much easier to go with adapters rather than requesting that and creating a new contract with them stating I pay monthly internet fees.

Not sure about bandwidth? I know they have two channels the 2.4 and 5 ghz for wifi. How many devices they have? Not sure, I know Netflix they use, and some sort of computer.

• 2 days ago
  • 1 point

Your best bet is to get ethernet cable run out there one way or another. But lacking that what you need is just better wifi signal. For clarity, the existing router in the landlord's house will have a WIFI router lets say. On that router are 1 to 4 antennas depending how good it is and mimo capabilities. The main point here is that these antennas are omni-directional (like a lamp shining all around it 360 degrees). What you want is a directional setup like a phone cell tower. Cell towers don't use omnidirectional because the your power levels then suck, your range sucks, and you have to put everyone on the same frequency which lowers bandwidth. Instead they use 3 sectors. Well you can do the same with wifi, and it's exactly what commercial wifi does is to sectorize the coverage.

Something like a wireless Bridge with a directional antenna could work. $50 gets you a TP-Link 13dBi antenna version, they just plug in to an ethernet port of the main router and use a POE adapter for power. This one is 300Mbps but you can pay more to get higher bandwidth and higher gain antennas. They will all list a range but just remember when they say 5 or 10 kilometers that is assuming max range, no obstructions and one directional bridge on each end. You will not get max bandwidth at those full ranges though since it sacrificies bandwidth to get the range. You probably one need one in the main house and not on both ends since you are so close.

Your other option is just to buy a normal directional antenna, and if your Landlord router has screw in omni-directional antennas, just unscrew one and replace it with the directional antenna. Which you point out a window at the guest house. (or you just buy your own wifi router and connect it to theirs, and then have your own directional antenna off that so you are not reducing the wifi capabilities of the main house. And when you move you take it with you. But your landlords sounds reasonable and might just pay for whatever solution works so he has it for future guests/tennants.)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube