add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

"Getting into" cars

ZFGeek
  • 7 months ago

So, to keep the car trend in OT going...

I've always had an interest in cars. How they work, how to race them, what makes them go faster... I've always wanted to "get into" cars(learn about them, modify them, rebuild them... okay, maybe not that last one yet), but the amount of information needed to be somewhat knowledgable in the car world is daunting. What can I do to learn that stuff? I'll be getting a car soon enough, plus my great grandfather owns a garage(like, mechanic, repairs cars for people for profit), so I could get experience, but experience doing what? I really need help figuring out how to get started.

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 6 points

"Getting into" cars I really need help figuring out how to get started.

Unlock the car, select and open a door, then step right in (watch your head).

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

You have a golden opportunity at your hand, take it. That is the best way to learn. You will have all of the tools you could need including a lift, etc. You have someone who knows their stuff. And you will have cars to work.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

When you get the car, perform a service of it yourself, maybe at your great grandfather's shop? the service really teaches you a few of the basics. also buy the Haynes manual for your car. it's a big book telling you how to do just about everything imaginable with your car. after servicing, see if you can help out in the shop, fixing crashed cars, with dents etc. learn how to swap a tire out. and go from there. good luck!

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I have learned with cars, the best way to learn is just jump and get your hands dirty. You can watch youtube videos on it, and do all that, but when you work on them, and learn about them, you will see it will feel different. Even from car to car, you will notice cars have different personalities and things that will go wrong with them. It is kind of fun to learn hands on with cars too. After a while you will learn your car, and learn to trust your gut.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Definitely get in the shop and just help out. If someone offers to show you something, jump on it.

Watching videos is always helpful. Browsing car forums is another great way to pick up info.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you have an example of a good car forum I can follow?

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Learning about it hands-on is the best way to do it. Just start. You have a great deal there with your great grandfather owning a repair shop and stuff. Take advantage of the cards you've been dealt.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube