add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Cheapest place to buy custom liquid cooling parts

Daniel_Amegatse

5 months ago

I want to cook my cpu gpu and ram but I saw it was around $900 I knew that was too expensive, is that overpriced, or is all cooling like that, is it is just overpriced, where is the best place to buy it?

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

Custom loop liquid cooling is more of an enthusiast thing and is by no means necessary for a PC to have good thermals. Custom liquid cooling is not cheap. You can get a decent high end air cooler or mid range 240mm AIO for the same cost or less than just the CPU water block. Also liquid cooling ram? Why does ram need liquid cooling as almost no one really bothers to put any cooling on them to start with? As for GPUs you can get one with a built in hybrid liquid AIO cooler and the cost hike is usually less than just buying a GPU waterblock vs a card that has just an air cooler on it.

If cost is a huge concern I would recommend to stay away from custom liquid cooling and move to more cost practical solutions. Sure custom loops are the most powerful type of cooling you can get and when done right they look awesome but costs are going to be high.

If you ever have to compromise on parts just to afford liquid cooling then any value of said liquid cooling is actually a negative. A RTX 2080 on liquid will not outperform a RTX 2080 TI on stock air. Basically unless you are getting the top hardware to cool in a custom loop then the cost of not doing the loop and upgrading the hardware with the money you saved will net more performance.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

You can get a decent high end air cooler or mid range 240mm AIO for the same cost or less than just the CPU water block.

This is only really true if you're only ordering from the big names like EK or Corsair. If you buy Chinese parts from say, Barrow and Bykski, it will usually cost 25-50% more than a high end AiO cooler but perform better and possibly even look nicer too. One build might take $50 for a cheap CPU and GPU block, $30 for a 360mm radiator, $30 for a pump/reservoir and another let's say $30 for the fittings, tubing, GPU VRAM heatsinks etc.

It'll come out priced similarly to something like the top end Corsair/ASUS AiO coolers (which are CPU only, not CPU+GPU) but something like this should perform cooler on both the CPU and GPU outside of crazy hardware configurations

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Problem is when you buy super cheap water cooling like that you get what you pay for. You quite often get really bad parts. Well CPU water blocks may not perform as well but still close enough to a higher end one but I would worry about the quality of the metals from the blocks and radiator causing long term issues. Also cheap pumps are not one I would like to rely on either. Spending $80 on a Noctua U12S would be far less worry for me and still perform well enough to overclock an i9-9900k with. Not to mention the proven reliability of Noctua parts, chances are that cooler AND fan will last like 15 years..... The Noctua U12A is like the S version but comes with 2 fans instead of 1 and it is a killer cooler, it outperforms AIOs in raw power not considering noise. It also beats them out on noise too.

Because of what you can get today for reasonable pricing on both air coolers and AIOs I still would only suggest liquid cooling for top end hardware where the buyer wants that extra flashiness for the PC and is willing to spend that extra amount for it. I would still favour power over aesthetics and would make my recommendations based off that viewpoint. Custom loop is really only for those who just want to have it in their PC and willing to spend the money on it. It is by no means mandatory for any home PC build to work.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

You don't want the cheapest. The cheapest stuff is on aliexpress and I would not trust it. Cheap and custom loop don't go well together.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

The last few years I've bought most of my stuff from Performance PC's, but if I needed the parts ASAP then I might be able to find them on amazon. The deals on amazon generally aren't that good.

When I'm shopping online I'll look at site aquatuning but I've never bought anything from them.

In the distant past I used to buy most of my stuff from frozenCPU, but they imploded. Something happened to that site a few years ago. It's worth doing a google search on that one.

Otherwise, it gets quite expensive. You can sometimes find a decent CPU only kit for an alright price but once you go beyond that it gets very expensive. VRM/CPU monoblocks are typically $130-175, 360mm radiators are $100-150, fittings are usually around $7-10 a pop, etc, etc.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

That's about right. For Corsair and EK full custom loops via their configuration tool, it ends up around $800-$1000 for me as well (just depending on things like fans, fan hubs or splitters, and extra 90 degree adapters). Do not buy cheaper parts from a place you do not trust (perhaps a lesser known company that doesn't have good customer service). If you mix metals, like maybe that cheap place says that it's a copper block but it's actually aluminum, you will have problems with your loop.

Sometimes places like EK will have sales like if you purchase a block, you'll get some free fittings, but I rarely see any big discounts on custom loop water cooling products. Don't cheap out on them. As others have said, if you want cheap, go with an AIO.

As for me, I spent a lot of time researching tutorials and checking out completed builds for inspiration, even parted out a list and planned my own loop on paper. In the end, it's just too expensive for me to justify, even with a top of the line system with not much left to upgrade for me. I'd rather spend that money to buy my wife a nice laptop or buy my brother a new video card. Because honestly, even after checking thermals from others who have completed builds, it's not really that impressive and there's not that much more I can squeeze out of my 9900k and 2080 Ti. It's not like it's gonna get me +20fps or anything. I'm already able to reach my max OC potential under ambient conditions, just can't sustain it for longer than 20-30 minutes (and that gain is maybe 5-8fps on the games I play at maxed settings). So yeah, just not worth it.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Custom water cooling is by no means cheap. Even if you were to go Aliexpress, you'd still be spending several hundred.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube