add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

So... first manual OC

ZFGeek
  • 7 months ago

I am trying to overclock my FX 8300, but in the bios I cant change multiplier, voltage, or anything related to CPU stats. the farthest I could go is unlock the clocks. My build is the completed build on my profile, with the addition of a corsair 120mm AIO. What am I doing wrong? Do I have to unlock the cores first, and then reboot into bios and OC?

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

First of all you have my sympathies for being stuck on bulldozer architect for a CPU.....

I see you have a budget 970 chipset board with very low VRM specs. Those VRMs may not be able to supply the wattage needed to power an OC for the FX 8 core chips. There is a reason they were called space heaters and all that heat needs a high wattage to produce. I used to have a FX8320 with a 990FX chipset board and was able to attain a 4.7 GHz OC on it and yes I could feel the heat coming from my PC. Even my r7 1800x at 4.0 GHz does not generate as much heat as that thing did. So I doubt you will be able to OC your CPU with that motherboard.

I would highly recommend upgrading your CPU if that option is even remotely available to you. Even a stock speed r3 1200 will run circles around a highly OC FX CPU and those CPUs are on for soo cheap now:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 3 1200 3.1 GHz Quad-Core Processor $59.35 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock B450M Pro4-F Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $71.00 @ Amazon
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $59.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $190.34
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-22 21:53 EDT-0400

Of course a mid range 6 core CPU (r5-2600, r5-3600, i5-9400f) would be ideal for gaming but I am not sure what budget you might have available if any at all...

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah yeah...I get that a lot. I don't really have the money for a Ryzen upgrade, although that is in future plans. I've gotta get a car first before that happens. I drive in a month, so... yeah, car is first priority. When I do upgrade, I plan on going with a latest gen ryzen with a case upgrade. So, pretty much my whole computer.(besides GPU and drives, got a GTX 1080 to keep me goin')

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

I would not overclock with that board, very poor power delivery.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube