add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

H115i PRO at the top, intake or outtake?

VideoPac

6 months ago

Hey, This is my first build. The Phanteks Evolv X has 2 140mm intake static fans on the front side and a one 140mm exhaust fan on the rear side, so I will mount the AIO rad and fans at the top. Is it better to intake or exhaust air at the top? Is it better to place the fans above or below the rad? Thanks for your help

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Is it better to intake or exhaust air at the top?

Exhaust of course. (pushing [1] or sucking [2] air through the radiator)

https://imgur.com/7ZHcsk7

Wouldn't make any big difference if you place the fans below or atop of the radiator.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Exhaust with the fans above the radiator is better, if it has to be intake go with the fans below.

That way nothing has to be disassembled to clean dust out as radiators have a habit of collecting any dust they can.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Personally, I would mount the radiator on the front intake. You'll see a better drop with CPU temps with no real impact on the GPU. I've linked a video from a couple years ago by Bitwit where he tests CPU and GPU temps with an AIO in different configs below. The results are at about the 12 minute mark. (https://youtu.be/xNAMxZgvves)

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

It depends on the case. I've seen that video as well. Putting mine as exhaust over intake dropped my 2080 Ti by 5C on average.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for your answers. Arghh... After reading your messages, I set up my mind on exhaust at the top and then I read this page where they advocate that positive air pressure is better to allow only dustless air to enter the case. If I exhaust from the top I think I will have a negative air pressure (2 front intake fans, 2 top exhaust + 1 rear exhaust = 3 outtake fans). Any other advice?

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

You'll never have a "dustless" case. Sure, if you have a dust filter up top as well, it will help reduce the amount of dust that your system will accumulate, but it will never be completely free of dust, and you should still try to clean it every few months (every six months at the least). You could go for positive pressure if you wanted, but it might make your case louder by creating extra turbulence. I wouldn't worry so much about slight negative pressure by having front intake, top exhaust, and rear exhaust. That should get you the best thermals as well as noise. If you end up getting a little extra dust as a result, just clean your system every few months. It really only takes like 10-15 minutes.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube