add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
ZFGeek
  • 8 months ago

So, me and my cousin came up with this idea of a hat-mounted fan like two or three weeks ago, and I've been refining it for a bit. It obviously wouldn't be made of erector set and a external power bank, but do you think that this would actually get anywhere? I've had multiple people say that it'd sell well in places like Disney and stuff like that. Should we try to pursue further development? Also, if you have recommendations, please let me know. Thanks!

Some Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/7OaHRq9

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

Hair. Long hair.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Well...There will just be a warning sticker.

WARNING, BE CAUTIOUS WITH LONG HAIR.

• 8 months ago
  • 3 points

WARNING. CUTS LONG HAIR

Sounds like a bug.

Nope, now it's a feature. Cools ypu down while giving you a hair cut

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

New idea, inspired by tragiktimes101's post.

https://imgur.com/a/ouUKz31

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Its a....USB powered fan?

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

That is just for prototyping purposes, it would be hard wired into a rechargeable battery in later designs.

But yes, it is a USB-powered fan for now.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

That already exists. Handheld battery operated fans have been a thing for 20+ years.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Thats the thing. Handheld. If it is integrated into a hat that you'd probably be wearing anyways, it'd be more convenient.

I'm not inventing a brand new concept, just turning it into something useful.

[comment deleted]
  • 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, this is true. I have done a little research into other fans of similar design, but most of the fans out there for hats are close to the same thing. And it's obvious that, at least in the U.S., that it isn't very popular or well known, as you don't ever see them. If I can make one that is more robust, and of better quality, and is made in the US(because who doesn't want to buy from their own country?), I can possibly achieve what I want to. I could also do something like integrate a light into it for nighttime.(multipurpose) I have ideas to stand out, its just figuring out if its worthwhile.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Pith helmet, solar cells, fan. Had one when I worked for the Navy out in the desert, can't remember the company, it wasn't expensive, better than a wet bandana or a ball cap.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Personally, I think if you refined the idea to vent air onto a forhead below the rim of the hat (no exposed fans), where it's not very noticeable or heavy. You might find a niche market for outdoors use. Would need to find a way to move the air quitely, though. I wonder if the patent to the dyson fan is vague enough to allow a similar yet different design. A lot of sweat forms of the forehead and cooling that down without getting in your way and being obnoxiously loud might actually be supported by the market.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Now that I think of it, the dyson fan thing sounds like a decent idea. What about the fans that come in laptops? Don't those blow air vertically? They wouldn't have to run at such high RPMs though, as I wouldn't think it'd need to push that much air, therefore reducing noise. I think you may be on to something, thanks for the idea... ;)

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah, I've seen it....many times. People aren't very creative when something works well enough...

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

It isn't about how well it works, necessarily. It's about whether or not the market will support it. The question is, will innovating on the design to the point where you gain actual benefit over the other options available, be able to be done at a low enough price point to be supported by the market. If not, regardless of how innovative and awesome the design, it will fail.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube