add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
livewire222

4 months ago

Hey guys I think this is the final build I'm going to go with. Any suggestions for improvements? Thanks again for all the help everyone has given me thus far.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $157.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock - B450 Steel Legend ATX AM4 Motherboard $105.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $64.99 @ Amazon
Storage Intel - 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $94.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card NVIDIA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB Founders Edition Video Card Purchased For $0.00
Case NZXT - H500 ATX Mid Tower Case $69.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply $69.90 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $563.65
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-12 14:53 EDT-0400

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I think you are good.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $157.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock - B450 Steel Legend ATX AM4 Motherboard $105.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $69.99 @ Amazon
Storage Intel - 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $89.99 @ Amazon
Video Card NVIDIA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB Founders Edition Video Card Purchased For $0.00
Case NZXT - H500 ATX Mid Tower Case $69.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply $69.90 @ Amazon
Case Fan ARCTIC - F12 PWM 53 CFM 120 mm Fan $7.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Fan ARCTIC - F12 PWM 53 CFM 120 mm Fan $7.99 @ SuperBiiz
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $579.73
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-12 16:01 EDT-0400

Note: If you don't want to spend extra money for intake fans, just move the top Case fan to the front.

Note 2: QVL list of the board. This kit (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16) may or may not run at 3200MHz. That kit (CMK16GX4M2C3000C15) has the better chances to run at 2933MHz.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

How can you tell if the ram won't run at 3200 mhz? What about this RAM? https://pcpartpicker.com/product/MYH48d/corsair-memory-cmk16gx4m2b3000c15 I was going to stick with the 2 fans that come in the case initially. Do you think I would need the additional fans?

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

How can you tell if the ram won't run at 3200 MHz?

If you select the first XMP profile (fastest) and after you save the changes and restart the PC, the Ram defaults to 2133MHz, that means the BIOS of the board in relation to that CPU can't run that particular module kit at that speed.

What about this RAM? https://pcpartpicker.com/product/MYH48d/corsair-memory-cmk16gx4m2b3000c15

It uses still a different IC revision (B) than the module i suggested. So it may or may not work out at that speed.

That's a fairly new B450 board. So everything can happen. At least we know, that Corsair LPX series - Revision C - at 3000MHz should normally run at 2933MHz if overclocked.

Last but not least, keep the board updated with the latest available BIOS version. It can fix, add or even make different Ram module kits to be fully compatible.

I was going to stick with the 2 fans that come in the case initially. Do you think I would need the additional fans?

Just mount the top fan to the front for having some sort of airflow inside the Case, and if you need one more intake fan you will figure out soon enough by inspecting the temps of the build.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

About the RAM, you can't tell if RAM will run at a particular speed beyond it's official support. Second generation Ryzen's official support is 2666 MHz, however, I wouldn't be concerned about this at all. Fact of the matter is, this was an issue towards the start of Ryzen's launch for both first generation and second generation. The platform has matured now and BIOS of most, if not all motherboards have been updated to support all RAM (as far as I know) up to 3000 MHz (will run 2933 MHz on Ryzen) and in fact, even 3200 MHz should run fine, because I haven't heard any more issues that a second generation Ryzen won't run 3200 MHz RAM in over six months, close to a year now.

Also, even in the unlikely event that the RAM won't run at 3200 MHz, you can still set it to just run at 3000 MHz (2933 MHz) and it will run fine. It doesn't mean the RAM won't work at all, or it will run at the lowest speed, it just means you have to step down on the speed until it does work, and in this case, even if this happens to be the rare combination where 3200 MHz won't work, 3000 MHz will, so there's no point paying an extra $5 for RAM on the QVL when it's possible to do this. CL 15 vs CL 16 isn't going to make a difference, the difference is within margin of error even in benchmarks, so I'd just buy the cheaper set and be done with it, which in this case, is actually the 3200 MHz RAM.

If you were buying a year ago, I'd be telling you that you should check the QVL for anything above 2666 MHz, and I actually did do that in almost every post back then. That's because it was a hefty premium to pay going from 2666 MHz to 3200 MHz, like $30+ and support was far and few for this speed. Right now? Practically every combination works and it's practically the same price, and in this case, with 3200 MHz being $5 cheaper, it's not a matter worth fussing over, so don't worry about it.

That's my perspective on RAM right now.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome. Thank you so much. Is it pretty easy to overclock the RAM in BIOS? Does this final build look pretty solid? I'm thinking of buying the parts soon. Again I really appreciate your help Dante, I'm super new to custom PCs and I really appreciate you taking so much time to post and offer suggestions.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

It's easy, but if you want some guidance, watch a Youtube video for it, since every manufacturer's BIOS is different.

I'm using an ASRock B360 right now, so if the B450's BIOS is anything close, basically go into the RAM settings, change it from Auto to XMP Profile 1, change the speed (it should be a drop down) to the speed you want, save and exit, done. My default set the RAM modules to 2133 MHz, even though I'm using 2666 MHz modules, which aren't considered overclocked RAM and 100% supported for the B360 motherboards, so it's very likely you have to go into the BIOS to change the speed, regardless of overclocking or not, and when it's just a simple drop down box, it's just a matter of choosing the higher speed, so there's no difference. In the unlikely event mentioned above that it just won't work, either you constantly get a blue screen or it won't boot properly, just go back into the BIOS and change it to 3000 MHz (2933 MHz) in the drop down box.

Solid build, I'd go with it. I do believe Newegg is running a sale now (to fight Prime Day) and Prime Day is only two days away, with some early deals already happening, so it's probably the best time to look out for discounts and sales right now. Also, all the new stuff (except 2080 Super) have been launched now, so you can see which is the best value for money for all the parts. If you miss this, the next big sale is probably Black Friday, and that's four and a half months away, by which time Intel 10th generation will have launched, and you'll be looking at comparisons again.

Good luck with your build.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Cool. One more question about fans for the case. Initially I was going to just leave the 2 stock fans the way they are, but I've seen some builds where people move the stock fans to the front and add 2 additional fans to the top and rear exhaust. Any suggestions about fan placement? I believe the mobo only has 3 fan connectors so I would need fan splitters to add more than 3. Do you think I need the extra fans or better fan placement?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube