add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need Help Choosing UPS

WxRob87

3 months ago

I need some recommendations on a good UPS to power two computers. I would prefer one that could handle both of my setups but am willing to get two if that's what is recommended.

Here is the scenario and why I need them:

My house tends to have a lot of power flickers that causes our computers to restart/shut off. Any time we get a slight breeze or rain shower it seems like we have this happen. I will be complaining to my power company but in the meantime I would like to get a UPS that would be able to handle preventing both my computers from restarting/shutting down during these brief flickers. I don't need anything that will run the computers all day or anything without power. Just enough to stop them from restarting/shutting down during the power flickers (power usually back within seconds). For any other outages I would just need it to give me a few minutes to safely power them down. Again, I do not need anything that will run them for a long time without power.

Here are the two PC's I would be using it for:

PC #1: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/n2wyHN

PC #2: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bdJpyX

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

APC and CyberPower are the usual suspects, and Tripp-Lite makes them as well. (Note that the web site for CyberPower UPS is cyberpowersystems.com) You will hear arguments as to why one is better than the other, but I would take them with a grain of salt. I happen to have had APC UPS's for the last couple decades.

If you have a wall power meter (such as a Kill-a-Watt), you can read the power each computer is drawing at the wall when they are reasonably busy. Plug that wattage into the calculator that the UPS vendor site will offer, and see what you get. I don't know whether it will be more cost effective to get two smaller UPS's or one big one; battery costs don't scale linearly, it seems. Note that UPS's are sized by volt-amperes (VA), which sounds like watts but isn't the same thing except into a pure resistive load, which a switching power supply isn't. Your VA number will be somewhat larger than the wattage drawn.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, thanks! I don't think I have a wall power meter but my pops just might. I will call him and ask if he has one I can borrow. Thanks again for the advice. I never owned a UPS so want to make sure I get the right one for my needs without overspending for something I don't need. Also don't want a hunk of junk lol.

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

An alternative is to use a PSU calculator like pcpartpicker's and guess using that; you may end up a bit high though.

FYI the type of UPS most suitable for home / desktop use is the "line interactive" type, and that's what you will likely find when you look around on the vendor websites. Don't worry too much about stepped-sine (or simulated-sine) output versus pure sine wave, either one works and you're just looking for short term outage mitigation. If the price is identical, though, pure sine is theoretically better.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Reading material: How-To Geek

I use an old Liebert online/double conversion UPS. Emerson Power took them over a while back.
Yes, I have tried models from APC, CyberPower and TrippLite in the past.
There are plenty of vendors that sell refurbished UPS. e.g. ExcessUPS

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube