add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Looking at X570 Chipset Fan Longevity....

Dievalkyrie207

3 months ago

Hi all,

I'm looking at probably buying an MSI X570 MEG Ace, and my only worry is the longevity and ease of replacement for the chipset fan. I'm wondering:

1. How long is this fan likely to last? I'm assuming worst case since I plan on running a 3950X 24/7 for BOINC.
  2. How easy is it to replace?
  3. If it can't be replaced by an end user, what are the alternatives? I was thinking that it might be possible to rig something like a Noctua 40mm PWM fan over the intake to force air in as a last resort.

Thanks!

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

MSI is a solid company that has been one of the best, if not the best, in making Ryzen motherboards. So I would not worry to much about it.

It is something you will have to keep an eye on. The new chipsets supporting PCIE 4 generate a good bit of heat. They don't call it the bleeding edge of technology for no reason. Early adopters always find new issues that pop up.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Makes sense. 6000 rpm though? Sheesh. That said, Apple kinda makes it work with their blowers.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

How long is this fan likely to last? I'm assuming worst case since I plan on running a 3950X 24/7 for BOINC.

That depends from the quality of the fan.

Asus boards for example like the TUF GAMING X570-PLUS, does use a custom DELTA Superflow fan.

https://imgur.com/yQrcMKy

So working on a 24/7 basis and according to the above data, this fan should work for at least 7 years!

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Nice. Hopefully MSI's using bearings that good. I can't imagine anyone using sleeve bearings though!

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I can't imagine anyone using sleeve bearings though!

Yeah hopefully. lol

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Delta is known for making reliable high flow fans, often they are found in servers. They are not known for making quiet fans.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

They are not known for making quiet fans.

Maybe, but that's a tiny one. :-P

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Let's hope, back in the day I had a little 60x30mm Delta on a socket A cooler, i was trying to get more overclock, it was obnoxiously loud, but this was long before we got fan speed control, if you wanted slower fans you had to buy slower fans or build a controller,

Small fans can be very loud if thier RPM is high.

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

Small fans can be very loud if their RPM is high

Yes that's true. There are some tiny fans with a rotation speed of 10000 rpm and small fans with a way lower rotation speed of 4000-6000 rpm.

Also i believe, the design of the air duct where the fan is located does play a role too as noise concerns.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, it does.

I’m reminded of a story I heard years ago when DEC was coming out with the KL -10. That was an ECL based machine and the power draw was eye-watering. The power supply fan noise was unbearable, and they brought in a fan expert. My informant said it was like watching a magic show. The fans were still loud but you could have a conversation, unlike before.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Absolutely, obstructions like heat sink fins or finger guards too close to the inlet and outlet of the fan can amplify the pressure pules coming off the fan blades, that basically how old mechanical sirens worked.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube