add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Do I need a Cooler and benefits....

Nollid3

4 months ago

I'm currently building a pc and I'm using at Ryzen 5 1600. Should I get a cooler or use stock wraith spire? Is 120mm cooler sufficient or 240mm? Is it better to use the cooler as a exhaust or intake?? Sorry for all the questions. New to using coolers. Thanks

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

currently building

I'm going to assume this is very much a budget build given that the 1600 is down to almost $100.

Even a cheap cooler is better than the stock, and would allow slightly higher and more consistent boost clocks. However, you are looking at $20+ for a cheap tower style air cooler, or even more for the liquid coolers you mention. That money could easily be put toward a better CPU or other parts of the system that would have a greater performance impact than the small gains from the better cooling.

Liquid cooling rad mounting will depend on your case, GPU, and overall configuration of other fans. Intake will raise temps for the GPU, exhaust with a non-blower GPU will raise temps for the CPU, for example.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, reason I am using the 1600 is because my friend just upgraded to a 2700 while Im still using a Fx-8300. This is going to be my budget entry build into the Ryzen/DDR4 scene lol. He is giving me a Ryzen 5 1600, MSI B350 Tomahawk combo for $80. So can't really put the extra money towards a different CPU.

Im going to be using this case NZXT - H500 ATX Mid Tower Case which has no intake fans and just two 120mm fans at the rear creating a negative pressure exhaust.

Guess what Im getting at is Im getting a Wraith Spire with the combo Im getting from him, but does it pay to upgrade to maybe one of these I listed below or should I just stick with the Wraith Spire?

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hyQRsY/be-quiet-pure-rock-slim-351-cfm-cpu-cooler-bk008 https://pcpartpicker.com/product/fmx2FT/nzxt-kraken-m22-liquid-cpu-cooler-rl-krm22-01 https://pcpartpicker.com/product/F2rmP6/corsair-h60-2018-572-cfm-liquid-cpu-cooler-cw-9060036-ww

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Just use the wraith spire and upgrade it in the future if you want better thermals. No one said you can’t eventually switch it up.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

If you are talking about a 120mm AIO water cooler, for the price good air coolers work just as well. Also a 240mm AIO is going to cost you as much of more then moving up to a Ryzen 5 2600X, which is going to get you more performance then even an overclocked 1600.

So, the stock cooler or and inexpensive air cooler is the way to go.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Makes sense, Thanks

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube