add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Buy pre-built or build myself?

ian2k19

3 months ago

I'm looking to get a new PC with the new Ryzen 3900x and would like an awesome graphics card to go with it, do you think I should buy the parts and build it myself or buy one already built?

I'm currently looking at this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3XS-Gamer-RTX-Ti-AMD-Ryzen-9-3900X-16GB-DDR4-11GB-EVGA-RTX-2080-Ti-2TB-SSD/362695778740?hash=item54725a61b4:g:ZUwAAOSwLo9dI3J6

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 3 points

agree with floridaboz here. building it yourself is so much better. the feeling of satisfaction at the end is great, plus each part comes with a warranty, so you can upgrade individually without invalidating the entire warranty.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

very valid point on the warranty and something i did not even think about on my prior post.

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

Most people here will tell you that you are best off building it yourself, most of us are builders and dont care for rebuilts.

From what i have seen myself, a lot of prebuilts will give you good processors, and maybe even video cards. But than they will cut corners in areas most people will not pay attention to. like PSUs and at times even ram. I see that that listing gives you the parts, and the parts look decent, but you would want to run the numbers both ways to see what would be the best. Plus when you build something from scratch you will be more proud of it, you will have more of a connection to it. You get to pick all the parts to get it just the way you want it.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Going for a prebuilt is fine but you gotta do research into the parts of the system you're buying, you cant just look at the CPU and GPU and compare its value based off those 2 parts alone.

I noticed on the prebuilt you have to scroll down and read an entire paragraph just to find out what PSU they are using a Corsair CX550M - 80PLUS, which is 550w 80+ bronze PSU, which for a 100w or so CPU and a 300w or so GPU isn't gonna leave you much room for Overclocking your parts. It should be fine but it is an example of the most common trope in prebuilts, cheaping out on the PSU because PSU specs dont sell like CPU'S and GPU's do.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the replies, I will build it myself then, i'm just waiting for the reviews for the 2080 super before I start purchasing the parts.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube