add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

H700 fans

DrFaker

4 months ago

Think I have the final build I plan on making (except maybe the GPU.) Don't plan on doing any manual overclocking of anything. Sadly I know next to nothing about airflow and different types of fans, was hoping for advice.

What I was thinking was putting the AIO Radiator at the front, then having two 140mm fans at the top and one 140mm at the back.

• Are the fans that come with the case good, or should they be replaced?
  • Any problems with moving the three 120mm front fans it comes with to the top, or strictly better to use a pair of 140mm?
  • Are the fans build into the Kraken good for what I listed above, or should I replace those too?
  • If I should be getting any new fans, recommendations for types/brands/models?

For reference:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor $499.00 @ B&H
CPU Cooler NZXT - Kraken X72 Liquid CPU Cooler $195.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI - MPG X570 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard $159.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill - Flare X Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $119.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill - Flare X Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $119.99 @ Newegg
Storage Corsair - MP600 Force Series Gen4 2 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $449.99 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Video Card $509.99 @ Newegg Business
Case NZXT - H700 ATX Mid Tower Case $149.98 @ NZXT
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $109.89 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $99.39 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $2454.20
Mail-in rebates -$40.00
Total $2414.20
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-12 03:34 EDT-0400

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Very similar to a previous build I had. The H700 case fans are definitely adequate for the case and it does have decent enough air flow. I had a 9900k and 2080 Ti in the H700 with the default case fans and X72 Kraken cooler and it was honestly great.

You don't need to purchase any additional fans, and two 140mm fans are not better than three 120mm fans. While 140mm fans are generally more efficient at moving at air lower RPM than 120mm fans, going down to two fans from three pretty much negates that advantage.

As for the X72 fans, they are Aer P radiator fans, and they are quite good. I wouldn't recommend replacing them as not only are they already good enough, but you may run into fan control issues when plugging them into the X72's fan plugs. The way that water cooling works is that the fan speeds are based on the liquid temp, so plugging the fans into the X72's pump will allow it to regulate the fan speeds accordingly. If you use another manufacturer's PWM fans (such as be quiet! Silent Wings fans, they are notorious for not playing nicely with other PWM fans, I have tried this myself), you won't be able to control the fan speeds and thus will not have optimal use of your cooler.

If you are set on replacing the case fans (do not replace the X72 fans), you could go for noctua fans as they are generally very good in noise to performance. They are pretty expensive though. Be Quiet Silent Wings or Pure Wings fans are also very good, but I would recommend the non high speed versions, and maybe even the 3 pin DC instead of the 4 pin PWM (I've had the high speed fans go wonky on me and spin up to max and slow down for no reason... noisy, creepy, and annoying). If you want RGB, Thermaltake Riing or Corsair LL120 RGB fans are really nice, but super expensive.

• 4 months ago
  • 0 points

NZXT fans are decent, so no reason to change them unless you simply want better performance, but for the most part they do fine.

My suggestion would be to move two of the front fans to the top as exhaust. That way you have three fans intake (from the Kraken) and three as exhaust. That is a pretty balanced set up, might be slightly negative pressure (more exhaust) because of the radiator restriction, but not enough to hurt. Adding 140MM fans or having 3 top exhaust will get you a negative pressure setup, meaning less overall air moving through the case to cool the GPU and motherboard components.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Negative pressure doesn't mean less air moving through the case. It means that the negative pressure inside the case wants to be equalized by drawing air through every available opening in the case, which includes through the PCIe slots which unfortunately aren't dust filtered. This means that there will be slightly more dust buildup in the case, but nothing that a simple dusting every month or so won't fix. Negative pressure is actually good for the video card as it will have access to the cooler ambient air from behind the case as opposed to the slightly warmer air coming from the front mounted radiator.

• 4 months ago
  • 0 points

Negative pressure does mean less air. The entire reason air is rushing in to relieve the low pressure is because more air is being forced out then can come in until is reaches a point of equilibrium. As far as the air coming from the radiator, that has been show a few time by people that the slight temperature increase is negligible.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Again, that doesn't mean less air moving overall as you mentioned earlier. Air is rushing in to relieve the lower pressure which means air is still flowing. The only way you have less air flow is if you close off any openings entirely. And I didn't imply that the warmer air from the radiator was bad by any means, but it still does contribute to higher GPU thermals. For my build which included the X72 cooling a 9900k and a 2080 Ti, a front mounted rad had my video card peaking at 72C. Mounted above, the video card stayed below 65C. In general, you get more performance increase from lower GPU temps than CPU temps, so that's why I generally prefer a top mounted rad.

• 4 months ago
  • 0 points

Yes, it means less air moving through the case, because there is less air, which is why you have a lower pressure.

Also by moving your radiator to the top position you added resistance to the exhaust which helps create positive pressure. Plus if your front fans are air flow type fans as opposed the static pressure fans they use for radiators, you are simply moving more air into the case, and moving that air across the GPU. You created a positive pressure high air flow setup.

...even more so if like you build suggest that your case is a 500D as the top panel restricts the exhaust flow even more.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube