add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Whats Wrong with this PSU?

dynomation

3 months ago

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Bz7v6h/pc-power-cooling-silencer-1050w-80-platinum-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-fps1050-a5m00

$90 new on Amazon for 1050W 80+ Platinum fully modular, which puts it cheaper than pretty much every 80+ gold or better 850W+. I feel like I'm missing something and there's got to be some flaw with this PSU to make it this cheep compared to others. There aren't many consumer reviews out there and a small few cite faulty units or bad cables. So, do you think this is one of those "too good to be true" moments, or is it actually just a good deal?

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pc-power-and-cooling-silencer-1050w-psu,5871-12.html

Not a great power supply. Couple that with the fact that demand for high wattage PSU has tanks with the GPU mining craze ending and you get deals like this.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

The review reads like a good design with some sloppy build qualities. The problem I have with a unit like that is that I would be uncomfortable driving it near the limit given some of the quirks mentioned in the review. If you're not going to drive it hard, you probably can get by with 650 or 750w anyway, and there are much more solid units for similar pricing.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Give me a 650W Seasonic Focus any day of the week over what ever this is.

• 3 months ago
  • -1 points

Give me a 550W Formula Gold/whisper m any day of the week over what ever the Seasonic Focus is.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

In addition to what's already been mentioned about this particular PSU, some general advice is that 80+ certifications can give you some information about efficiency, but are not indicative of a PSU's quality. (Nor is the max output rating.) Poor quality control can make these specifications even less meaningful, since the sample of PSUs that are rigorously tested by independent reviewers tends to be very small (on the order of n=1).

I feel sorry for the guy that picked this for their FX9590 build.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube