add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

System won't start with GPU inserted

Tompie913

7 days ago

Specs: i5 4690k @4.4 Ghz XFX RX580 8GB ASRock Z97 Extreme4 16GB RAM (2x8GB) Corsair CX750M Win 10

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Tompie913/saved/#view=2XygJx

A few hours ago, my PC suddenly powered off. My first thought was the power supply, but unplugging various things led me to find that the video card appears to be (at least part of) the issue.

When the GPU is in either of my two PCI slots, regardless of whether it is connected to the power supply, the PC fails to boot. Sometimes, the CPU fan turns on for a split second, but there are no other signs of life that I can see. Without the GPU the system boots fine, and I'm currently running on my integrated graphics.

The RX580 is about 3 weeks old and has worked fine until now; I just bought it to replace a GTX 970 that died under similar circumstances – the system powered off and wouldn’t power on for a while. But after I dusted it off, it did power on, but the 970 barely worked, and completely stopped outputting when put under any kind of load (and also had serious coil whine). I removed the cooler on the 970 to find that it appeared to have blown a MOSFET.

The only other bit of information that might be relevant is that I undervolted and mildly overclocked the 580. I wouldn’t think that this would cause any physical damage to it – it appeared to be running stably and afaik undervolting should if anything extend the life of a card. It was averaging around 75C under load, so heat didn’t seem to be an issue.

So basically, my question is, is it likely that the 580 was just a bad copy, or could there be a correlation between the two cards dying similarly 3 weeks apart? Perhaps my PSU or MOBO is killing them? Or could it be that the GPU isn’t even dead, and that the PSU or PCI Express slots are malfunctioning?

Comments

• 7 days ago
  • 3 points

Your PSU nuked it, bub

• 7 days ago
  • 2 points

Sounds like a faulty psu, if it killed one card then it is possible it killed the 580. Do you have another system to test the 580 in?

• 7 days ago
  • 1 point

Not readily, but I guess I’ll have to find one. I was also thinking that was the next thing to test.

• 6 days ago
  • 2 points

Not the GPU, it got boomed by the PSU. Faulty voltage delivery probably cooked it.

• 6 days ago
  • 2 points

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/01/21/corsair_cx750_750w_power_supply_review/9

That version of the CX750M you have was never a great PSU. Add some heat, and things can take a turn. I agree with the other posters sounds like a PSU problem.

• 6 days ago
  • 2 points

Your partlist is private for me, you have to go into the parts list and edit details and untick the private box.

• 6 days ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the tips guys. I've got a new EVGA PSU on the way and an RMA for my RX 580, though I think I'll wait a few days to test it with my new power supply to rule that out.

• 6 days ago
  • 1 point

Smart thinking. Keep us posted

• 6 days ago
  • 1 point

Keep in mind that PSU may have fried other stuff as well. The MB might not work with a new GPU either.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube