add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Which Ryzen for me

Anthrax15

7 days ago

I am currently buying parts to upgrade my pre-built PC and Im deciding on which Ryzen to go with. Im going to be using a ASUS ROG Strix B450-F mobo with a GTX 1060. I use triple monitors but not for gaming. The only thing I will be playing will be Classic WoW so nothing extremely demanding. Budget is about $160 or less.

Thanks for the suggestions

Comments

• 6 days ago
  • 3 points

A 2600/X would be your best bet, but AMD isn’t really the best option, now that you’ve mentioned WoW (it’s game engine is older, with optimisations coming only recently)

A 9400F would be able to outperform that 2600, whilst also having some punch for other titles.

• 6 days ago
  • 1 point

How much of a handicap would I be putting on myself if I went with the 2600X instead of a 9400F?

• 6 days ago
  • 1 point

It wouldn’t be a massive handicap, but when it comes to titles that are reliant on single core speed, yes you would have a handicap of some kind.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hRIgnPWHgEY

• 6 days ago
  • 1 point

That's an awesome link, thank you. Truth be told, I will most likely only be playing WoW and multi-tasking on 3 monitors.

• 6 days ago
  • 1 point

Then, the 9400F should be just fine.

• 6 days ago
  • 1 point

Cool cool. What would be a good motherboard to pair with it?

• 6 days ago
  • 2 points

Aside from what Imperious listed the 1060 isn't worth it with the GTX 1660 on the market now.

WoW is a fringe case where Ryzen gets outperformed by lower priced Intel CPU to a noticable margin.

• 6 days ago
  • 1 point

What do you mean the 1060 isn't worth it? That was recently upgraded from a GTX 760 Windforce and will be upgraded again in the future to a 1080ti.

• 6 days ago
  • 1 point

If You already have it then it is a fine card.

If You are buying New then it isn't worth its asking price with how much more performance the newer model has.

I also would forget about the 1080ti in favor of the newer models.

• 6 days ago
  • 1 point

Ah gotcha. In the future, what would be your recommendation?

• 6 days ago
  • 1 point

I would look up benchmarks of the current models when You go to replace what You have.

NVidia is launching a new series soon which looks like them dropping each model down a tier 2070 will be the 2060 super and so on.

AMD is launching a couple new middle range cards as well next month.

And both are launching new series next year as well as Intel is joining the GPU market.

• 6 days ago
  • 1 point

I'd assume that the 1080ti only makes sense on the used market, and that will change a lot before you are ready to buy again. Things will change after AMD release Navi and nvidia releases "super Turing". If nvidia releases a new line of cards (maybe they are skipping 7nm for 7+nm and deciding that EUV is cheaper than multipatterning) things will change again.

Also the resolution and refresh on your [gaming] monitor is key: there's no reason to jump to a 1080ti if the center monitor is limited to 1080@60Hz.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube