• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Zowayix 1 month ago

So, I have a NAS with 4 drives in it (4 * 3TB in RAID 10 = 6TB total). 2 of those drives are failing and I get lots of emails every day informing me of that. It also says the bad sector count is 6816 on one of those drives. That's probably a big number.

Anyway, that's just what's going on. This isn't gonna be a "hey should I replace those drives" question because I know people would see that number and glare at me.

The NAS is a DiskStation DS413j, and the failing drives are both Hitachi HDS723030BLE640, in case that matters. I figured I should at least go for a NAS-optimized drive.

I can get the WD Red (one of which I already have and isn't failing) for $135, or the Seagate IronWolf for $128. Though I looked up the benchmarks and apparently the WD Red is a lot better at random reads (which is what I want because I have a lot of games stored on the NAS, and I know sequential reads don't really matter that much and would be bottlenecked by the network anyway).

So, is the $7 worth it for something that's gonna allegedly perform better and is seemingly known to be reliable, or should I just get the IronWolf (which seems to be more in stock)? Should I get a 6TB backup drive first because I was an idiot when I set this all up and never budgeted for that originally and now I realise that was a bad idea?

I'm just indecisive, but it's probably not good if I get stuck in an indecision loop and never swap those two drives out. I overthink things a lot.

Comments Sorted by:

Rin_Itoh 2 points 1 month ago

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-stats-for-q1-2018/

Backblaze publishes quaterly information about the reliability of the drives that they have.

I personally use WD for all of my HDD needs. Nothing wrong with Seagate, but I have used WD an haven't had a problem so I stick with them. Since you have multiple drives fairly close to each other you might wan to go with NAS optimized drives. They typically contain more/ better padding to reduce the vibration from the nearby drives. You will be fine with either brand though. It is also meant for 24/7 use, unlike the Blue drives which are meant for typical desktop use where they spin up and down fairly frequently, or the purple which are designed for surveillance and therefore meant to be constantly written to and then overwritten. You can use them interchangeably, but I nor the company can guarantee your data if you use a drive that is not meant for that purpose.

I find it beneficial, that when I have a fairly major swap like this to just back up all the data to a separate drive(s) and then wipe away what I will be working on. It provides a clean slate to work with that might have been messed up after all of the messing around with it.

Overall, you will want to act quickly with whatever you do,

FancySnancy 1 point 1 month ago

Not much I can say other then I'm told Western digital has reliable hard drives but if theyre both tested for reliability its up to you, (I don't how much of a difference the read speeds are going to make honestly, nor do I know which is better)

I will say that now a days 6 tb hard drives are alot cheaper so it is an option to back it all up, probly wouldn't hurt,.

ZaCLoNe 1 point 1 month ago

You can get a 10TB HDD from bestbuy and shuck it for around $160 or an 8TB HDD around $140 I think. Much cheaper than the comparable "internal" drives cost and reviewers share that the HDD in the EasyStores are white label-WD Reds.