PCPartPicker

• Register

Is this Fractal Design Nano S 1660 ti build good enough?

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

rotophenom 1 month ago

Hi, everyone. I am a first time PC builder asking opinions from you experts. The following is my preliminary build for this Fractal Design Nano S case.

Could anyone explain why these messages show up after I insert the components into "System Build"? 1 additional case full expansion slot is needed. (No idea what this mean)

1. EVGA - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB XC BLACK GAMING Video Card and Fractal Design - Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case are not compatible. (Is this card truly incompatible with Fractal Design Nano? If compatible, should I be concerned with its single fan cooling inside the ITX case? Will the dual fan model, ie. MSI GTX 1660 Ti VENTUS XS 6G OC be more ideal?)

2. Some Intel B360 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Coffee Lake Refresh CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions. (Is bios pre-update necessary, to prevent any conflict with motherboard_Asus - ROG STRIX B360-I GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 & CPU_i5 9400F?)

3. Is CPU fan_ CRYORIG - M9i 48.4 CFM enough for this ITX case?

4. Are additional aftermarket case coolers needed to be considered? Or just go along with the ones featured with the case?

Many thanks for all your opinions in advance.

URL: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qx6rbX

CPU Intel - Core i5-9400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor

CPU Cooler CRYORIG - M9i 48.4 CFM

Motherboard Asus - ROG STRIX B360-I GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151

Memory Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000

Solid State Drive ADATA - XPG SX8200 Pro 256 GB M.2-2280

Internal Hard Drive Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM

Video Card EVGA - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB XC BLACK GAMING

Case Fractal Design - Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop

Power Supply be quiet! - Pure Power L8 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX

Monitor Dell - P2319H 23.0" 1920x1080 60 Hz

Comments Sorted by:

PrivatePengu 2 points 1 month ago

The GTX 1660 Ti and Define Nano S are not compatible because of the amount of expansion slots (The white ones in the case). The GPU needs 3 (see the fifth picture on this page), but the case only has 2 (the white slots in the back of the case).

The BIOS update is necessary, but some motherboards already have the BIOS update installed.

rotophenom submitter 2 points 1 month ago

Hi, Is it possible to see how many slots GPU has? So I can know instantly if GPU fits with my case. Cuz once I switch the GPU to "MSI1660 Ti VENTUS XS 6G OC", the error message disappears. (...Video Card and Fractal Design - Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case are not compatible.)

Thanks again

PrivatePengu 1 point 1 month ago

Well, for one, you can make sure the compatibility filter is enabled. If that's not the option you're looking for, there is an expansion slot width filter aswell, which you'll have to limit to 2.

rotophenom submitter 2 points 1 month ago

Once again thank you for the swift assistance.

[comment deleted]
AnonymousUser99 1 Build 2 points 1 month ago
  1. The GPU compatibility issues and the extra expansion slot needed issues are because that case only has two pcie slots (where the gpu goes) but that graphics card has three. This makes that gpu and that case incompatible.
  2. you should be able to get the bios flashed by a walk-in retailer. That bios only came out on the 22/2 (bios version 1404) according to ASUS' website, so you might need to go into a computer store near you and ask for the bios to be flashed.
  3. That cpu cooler will be plenty. I would suggest getting some aftermarket thermal paste to improve cooling. Arctic silver 5 is good.
  4. Maybe get another gp14 to create positive air pressure inside your case, as this will help airflow. I would personally get a better PSU, one that is modular. maybe something like a cx450 or a strider st50f
rotophenom submitter 1 point 1 month ago

Hi, Is it possible to see how many slots GPU has? So I can know instantly if GPU fits with my case. Cuz once I switch the GPU to "MSI1660 Ti VENTUS XS 6G OC", the error message disappears. (...Video Card and Fractal Design - Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case are not compatible.)

Thanks again

AnonymousUser99 1 Build 1 point 1 month ago

when you are in the video card selection area, just go to the bottom and look for the slider that is titled "Expansion Slot Width". If you set that to be 0-2, it will only show graphics cards that are 2 slots or less.

rotophenom submitter 1 point 1 month ago

Greatly appreciate your help!!!

[comment deleted]