• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

jbrid 1 month ago

I have done a lot of searching but still cannot get a clear answer on this.

My motherboard is a ASUS PRIME B250M-A which has an M-Key (Socket 3) connection.

I want to add a WD Blue 3D NAND 250GB WDS250G2B0B drive to it which has a B+M key (Socket 2).

It seems like it is not compatable, but according to this WD document it is? https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=17144&lang=en

Thanks.

Comments Sorted by:

Gilroar 1 Build 1 point 1 month ago

That board only supports Sata drives in one of the two M.2.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-B250M-A/specifications/

It will work so long as it is in the correct M.2 and they state on the motherboard what they support with a V/Y for yes and X for no.

So top slot will support Sata and PCIe but not IRST which is OPTANE, Bottom slot will support PCIe and IRST/OPTANE but not Sata.

You need to use the top slot with that drive.

thunder-93 1 point 1 month ago

Yes, this SSD is compatible with this mobo, according to the mobo manual.

Specifically, this is an M.2 SATA SSD. And this mobo has two M.2. slots. M.2_1 slot supports both SATA and NVMe ... so plug this SSD into it. M.2_2 slot only supports NVMe, so it will not work in that slot.

Note, when you use M.2_1 in SATA mode, this will disable the SATA port SATA1--so if you are also plugging in a normal SATA drive (like an HDD or 2.5" SDD) then be sure to use SATA2 thru SATA6, and not SATA1. You've got plenty to choose from.

jbrid submitter 1 point 1 month ago

Thanks for the clarification. This is starting to make sense. So, if I bought the 970 Evo, then I would use the bottom slot (M.2_2).

thunder-93 1 point 1 month ago

Yes. A 970 Evo could be used in either M.2 slot (M.2_2 or M.2_1). M.2_2 only supports NVMe, while M.2_1 can support NVMe or SATA.