add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Snap ring pliers for fan clip?

andyshinn

8 months ago

Anyone know if snap ring pliers work for removing fan shaft clips? I'm trying to remove the clip in the photo here: https://i.imgur.com/fGPwZte.jpg.

I don't have a good way of getting the clip off so I was thinking of picking up some snap ring pliers unless someone knows that they won't work (or if there is a better way to get this ring off).

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

Snap ring pliers should do the trick but if your being a bit more careful about it I personally recommend using thread snips, they work amazingly on that sort of thing, anything else I can help you with hit me up.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

If submitter has a harbor freight nearby he can pick up a cheap set of snap ring pliers for around $5. I've pulled many a snap rings without them but they just make life so much easier.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

They have best answer. The only cheater way I know of is sometimes if not to stiff you can stick needle nose pliers in them (if they fit) and run them backwards. A stiff clip that will be difficult to do. You run risk of trashing it as well.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I ended up getting some snap ring pliers with different sized tips. Unfortunately, the smallest sized tips are not small enough and I can't get both ends to fit in the small opening. Still looking for a way to get the ring off without destroying it :(

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm late responding to this, but if you still are struggling go get a cheap file and grind the tips down. It might take some time but if you bought a cheap set they probably aren't hardened much.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I ended up using the pliers in combination with some special tweezers for small parts. I did manage to get the ring off safely. However, the rest of the fan has a bunch of press-fit and melted plastic parts to hold it together. I couldn't modify what I needed to without breaking the fan :(

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube