add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I need a CPU/MoBo recommendation after my 1500x went toast

DaMysteryMan

12 months ago

Well, my 1500x got fried, and now I am in need of a new CPU to hold me off until zen 2. I would prefer to not spend more than $120 on a CPU motherboard combo (motherboard died and ran 12v straight into the CPU.) Anyways, I have a GTX 1080, and was looking at getting a 144 hz monitor but now without a decent CPU that's out the window for a few months. Looking for suggestions spending as little as possible. I'm thinking the 200GE and cheap b450.

Comments

• 12 months ago
  • 3 points

My 2c Don't bother with a 200GE look for a used R3 1200/2200G/1300X/1400.

They are hardly any more money and far better performance.

As a side question what motherboard was it?

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

b350 gaming pro. Made some nice blue smoke and zapping noises, and left burnt traces on the PCB of the CPU. Good to know though that I should be looking used.

• 12 months ago
  • 2 points

Ouch that really sucks when it happens.

But sadly the 200GE is truly a terrible buy even overclocked falling behind a G4560 for frame rate performance.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-cheap-cpus,5668.html

It also has terrible resale value well the R3 are pretty stable so you can probably recover most of your investment.

Don't forget to check things like the R5 1500X/1600/1600X though plenty of the low end B350 have been failing so you can snag decent deals from time to time.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Where should I be checking, other than ebay and hardwareswap?

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Craigslist.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Shopped around for a 1600 $85 new and 2200G for $72.00 new. Or should I stick with used?

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're upgrading to Zen 2 soon, why not just get a cheap processor & a good X470 board? No need to swap the board out later for the new chip.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Stuck on mATX

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

There's a 1400 on eBay right now at $51, how does this look?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1400 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Processor $51.00
Motherboard ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $83.98 @ Newegg
Other CPU Link
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $134.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-24 14:28 EST-0500
  • 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Great. I was allready planning to swap case for something nicer looking than the core v21 and open up the window for high end motherboards, so I think I might just stick with a320 so I’m not tempted to fry my next CPU. Link for eBay?

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Right, if you go A320, you could make it even cheaper.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1400 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Processor $51.00
Motherboard Asus - PRIME A320M-A Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $59.99 @ Newegg
Other CPU Link
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $110.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-24 14:43 EST-0500
  • 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Nice. But the CPU is $51, and on a bid so I would have to win it out for more.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the suggestions, but I went with the 1700 and b450, because it was tempting me too much. Thanks for the info!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube