• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

DazzCee 3 months ago

Not done a 100% fresh build for 11+ years, Ive just been upgrading.

I want a clean build with my first usage of RGB. My plan, at the moment, is to have all front, top and rear fans, GPU, RAM and AIO cooler to be RGB, following the internal or CPU temperature of my system.

Can anybody tell me what ill need to pull this off?

Comments Sorted by:

andyshinn 2 Builds 2 points 3 months ago

I'll mention a couple things to pay attention to in general:

• Each major brand has their own software to control RGB. There generally isn't any standard or compatibility between brands much right now (ie. if you have a Corsair AIO and Thermaltake Riing Fans you need to install both Thermaltake and Corsair software).
  • The software will dictate what features they have for controlling colors. You'll have to look at the feature list of each to see if they have ways of controlling colors based on temperatures (like previously commented, I can confirm at least that Corsair iCUE can do this).
  • The gaming motherboards advertising RGB generally have either a 12V RGB and sometimes a digital LED headers (for controlling single color RGB fans and strips (using the 12v,G,R,B pinout) or digital addressable LEDs (usually strips where you can assign each LED a color).
  • Some RGB components work with the generic 12v,G,R,B pinouts which would be controlled by the motherboard software. You can also use a RGB splitter to make these headers control multiple RGB products (for example, I have a 3 way RGB splitter so I can use one header to set the same color on my pump, GPU, and CPU cooler that are all controller with the generic 12v,G,R,B pinout).
  • It is difficult to get everything from one brand as there isn't one brand that makes all the components mentioned. For example, you could do Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro RAM, Corsair AIO, Corsair ML or LL fans, Corsair LED strips. But there is no Corsair GPU or Corsair motherboard. For those you would need to go to someone like Asus or MSI or Gigabyte.
  • Some case manufacturers will have cases that come with RGN fan controllers which may influence your RGB component decisions.

It's probably a good idea to start with a case or a couple case ideas and then fans as these will end up being the main look. Then depending on those two manufacturers you might see what components works with their software and go form there.

DazzCee submitter 1 point 3 months ago

Brilliant reply, thank you.

I like how you pointed me to Asus, MSI and Gigabyte boards, im a fanboy for those brands anyway so that suits me fine. I was going to go with either Fractal S36 cooler or the similar 360mm AIO from Corsair. In the event that I take the Fractal cooler, I can always upgrade the fan with Corsair anyway.

Once again, great reply. Thank you.

andyshinn 2 Builds 2 points 3 months ago

I'll add that, while you can swap out the radiator fans if you like, the coolers themselves (pump, sensors) will usually connect up to the board via USB and require that manufacturers software. This is usually so you can control pump, fan curves, see temp sensors in the pump, and control the fan PWM where the fans connect directly to the cooler.

So, if you added Corsair RGB fans to a Fractal S36 cooler you are going to need both of their software and in some cases each of their RGB / fan controllers which is doubling up your cabling as well. Again, totally fine and possible just something to be aware of.

DazzCee submitter 1 point 3 months ago

Fractal S36 only plugs into the CPU fan header or AIO pump header. I dont think it has a USB connector for communicating with the motherboard, but thanks anyway.

ZFGeek 1 Build 2 points 2 months ago

I would get Corsair RGB if you want everything to be synced, I've had experience with both NZXT cam and corsair iCue software, and I can honestly say I prefer Corsair's software and hardware. The only issue I've had is when I change to a busy lighting effect on my strafe keyboard and type a lot at the same time, iCue crashes. Otherwise Corsair's stuff is generally better.

DazzCee submitter 1 point 2 months ago

Yea, Corsair seems to get best reviews. And i only really want my RGB to reflect my system temp so relatively simple and static

icecreamman117 1 point 3 months ago

RGB components Go with corsair because ICUE (corsairs lighting program) has the temperature lighting effect. im not sure about other brands

Dreadvolt 1 Build 1 point 3 months ago

NZXT does if you're cool with CAM software.

I can't speak to EVGA AIOs but the GPU RGB has a temperature option as well so I'd imagine they can pull it off as well.

Corsair certainly does.

Dreadvolt 1 Build 1 point 3 months ago

Better invest in some shades. That case gonna be lit!

You better post some pictures when it's done.

[comment deleted by staff]