add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

GOU cooler swapping.

DaMysteryMan

11 months ago

I have an MSI GTX 1080 Aero non OC, and am looking to swap out the cooler for a universal GPU waterblock. I noticed you can take off the top shroud and then the main heatsink and leave the single blower fan for extra juice on the VRMs, however it leaves that little price of plastic on the bottom shroud covering the full length of the card. Would I have to remove that bottom half of the shroud in order to mount a waterblock, or would I be able to keep that on. My point of asking is a single universal GPU block looks kind of ugly, and I would like to be able to mount the cooler over with holes cut out of the top for the tubing.

Here there are pictures to help you understand what I’m talking about. http://electrostingz.com/2017/10/msi-gtx-1080-aero-with-arctic-accelero-xtreme-iv-cooler/

Also would a universal GPU waterblock, with its own mounting on the back, work with a custom backplate?

Whoops misspelled GPU, my bad

Comments

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Did you find the answer to your question, yet?

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

I think so, I measured it out, and I should be able to fit a waterblock under the shroud, Thanks.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Let me know if you have any other questions then :)

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, does EK have any low budget parts for putting together a loop for under $200, GPU included?

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

We have our Fluid Gaming lineup, though the cheapest kit isn't quite $200. The A240G is $239.99

https://www.ekfluidgaming.com/ek-kit-a240g

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. I’ll definitely pay a small premium for components I can trust. Unfortunately I’ll be upgrading my monitor and likely CPU first, however hopefully I’ll be able to do a custom loop eventually. Currently stuck with a Ryzen 5 1500x, not quite so worthy of liquid cooling.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube