add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

B350 Board RMAed, any good replacements?

DaMysteryMan

14 months ago

So my b350 gaming pro from MSI is bricked after a BIOS update went wrong, and I just shipped it but it’s going to a month... and in searching for a replacement, I’ve found two options “entry level” and “enthusiast,” with absolutely no middle ground. I have a micro ATX cas which throws things off, as mATX is thrown aside as entry level or low end when in reality it’s a great platform, the perfect balance between ITX and ATX. So can anyone recomend me a great b450 board, bells and whistles not required. All I want is a good board that can run 1.4 volts without overheating, 4 RAM slots, maybe dual BIOS or crossfire would be a nice feature, for less than $90 in mATX. Any suggestions?

Or actually, on a side note, should I just be patient and wait a month for the RMA? I would be planning on selling the refurbished board I get back and keeping the new one, as the b350 gaming pro has not the greatest power delivery and only 2 RAM slots.

Comments

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Or actually, on a side note, should I just be patient and wait a month for the RMA? I would be planning on selling the refurbished board I get back and keeping the new one, as the b350 gaming pro has not the greatest power delivery and only 2 RAM slots.

I mean, if you want to get rid of it anyways, you may as well start shopping now, so you're not without your system for a month. This is ultimately up to you, though.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I just don’t know. I would like a nice board for overclocking on the future 3000 series which hopefully will live up to the hype. I guess I’m probably going to replace it. Any recommendations?

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

1.4v is a ton of juice for a cheaper board, I would go for a MSI Mortar you can get the same power delivery for cheaper on the rest of the line but those all reuse the old craptastic heatsinks which holds them back from being better and they run hotter.

Gigabytes Aorus is not the greatest as it's missing high side mosfet.

ASRocks Pro 4 runs the gamut from okay to bad depending on what parts you find underneath and what BIOS it runs.

Asus's stuff will actually run 1.4v without throttling but you overheat the components and longevity is a real concern.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not going to run 1.4 long term, maybe just to push for some benchmarks. More likely 1.3-1.35 would be a more reasonable range long term. I'm leaning towards the Aorus, however don't know whether the VRMs will throttle. I mean anythings better than my current board which the VRMs not only throttle but shut the system down at no upvolt at 3.9 GHz.

Actually, what about the asus tuf b350 plus? looks pretty good to me, witht he exception of price.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm leaning towards the Aorus, however don't know whether the VRMs will throttle.

Hard to say without actual testing the heatsink is smaller then the models that have been tested.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gigabyte-b450-aorus-pro-wifi,5705-4.html

Actually, what about the asus tuf b350 plus? looks pretty good to me, witht he exception of price.

Asus's low end products have issues with poor over temp protections on the VRM.

At that frequency, we were able to boot and run AIDA64’s FPU stress test for 30 minutes with temperatures hovering in the upper 80’s C. However, our charts require 8-hour-long Prime95 runs, so we ended up with an impresssive 4175MHz at roughly 1.365V Vcore, according to HWiNFO. Processor temps were acceptable, though more aggressive overclockers should be cautious in pushing the system further. At these settings our Vreg heatsinks were starting to reach 131 C, so you'll want to pick a board with higher phase counts and bigger heatsinks for prolonged overclocks maximum.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asus-tuf-alliance-x470-plus-gaming-atx-motherboard,5688-5.html

131C on the heatsinks means the VRM is running even hotter and longevity is significantly reduced.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. And what about the pro4?

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

It was the least terrible B350 but with everyone else improving for B450 its middle of the pack currently.

Downside is components can change on the model since it has no set specifications and some configuration have issues when combined.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

So then the mortar or aorus it is then.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube