add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Bricked my motherboard in BIOS update

DaMysteryMan
  • 14 months ago

TD;LR I updated the BIOS on my MSI b350 gaming pro, and got no video output or keyboard LEDS afterwards.

I went to go update my BIOS from the version a year ago, however when updating, it just does nothing. No debug LED lights, fans spin and motherboard LEDS go on but no video output. Pretty sure I have a corrupted BIOS, but not sure. It could possibly be that I had the BIOS file in a sub-folder of a Ubuntu live boot drive, not in an empty USB, but not sure. Should I RMA, buy a replacement BIOS chip and re solder, or do something else? Is my motherboard permanently bricked?

Comments

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Kill power, pull the plug, hit / hold the reset cmos button if there is one, pull the cmos battery. Let it sit a while and see if you get anything. If not you'll probably have to replace stuff unless MSI has a better idea for you.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

I have allready reset CMOS, no luck.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Since motherboards in the recent years have an absurd number of layers to the PCB you will more than likely not be able to get a new BIOS chip. If you want a challenge you can try, but I wouldn't recommend it. There are some tools that you can use like this to reflash a BIOS that isn't getting a signal, but they can be iffy as well and they might not work given we aren't entirely sure the problem here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dZl-phGtwU

The easiest method is going to be is try to RMA it. Since it is a B350 board it is more than likely over a year old, so it might not be covered under warranty. I would still give it a shot and if you can't get an RMA, then snag a new board off your favorite site.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xb350.TRS0&_nkw=b350&_sacat=0

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

I was conside ruograding to x370 anyways, however if can’t get any recovery options to work that will likely be what I’m doing. I also did not take PCB layers into mind with a replacement chip. I would expect 8-12 layers, which might be beyond my abilities. Also on a side note, I cut off the barcode on the box for a MIR of $20, is my motherboard still eligible for warranty without the label?

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

If you explain that it might be. They should have that on file and associated with your card. Do you need the extra features of the X series over the B series boards? If not then you can probably get a B board cheaper.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube