add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Intel or AMD? Thoughts?

SilmeSule

13 months ago

I tend towards Intel chips, but the new line have disappointed me. No hyper-threading and sticking with 14 nm chips, combined with the price are making me rethink Intel. Also the guaranteed support for AM4 until 2020 is appealing. Should I jump ship and upgrade to a new AMD chip this winter when they release their new line?

Comments

• 13 months ago
  • 9 points

You should generally never pick parts by brand. You are only harming your build in doing so. Pick your parts based on their performance/features/build quality/etc instead of the letters on the box.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

What is your current setup?

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

AMD hasn't listed any plans for launching anything beyond some samples of the EPYC 2 server chips which are not going into production until next year.

So if you are looking at consumer products what's out is what you have to look at.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Regarding system building, how much of an impact with tariffs make? Is it wise to build the system before the bulk of the tariffs are in force (this calendar year)? I was planning a system upgrade next year, but given the pace of the new product introductions and tariffs....maybe move it up.

Comments? Thoughts?

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

If you do gaming and other single core optimized tasks then Intel is the better choice. If you use multi core applications/streaming then AMD is the better choice. In all honesty it depends on your budget, needs, lifespan etc.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Ryzen 5 2600 is the best CPU in terms of price to performance hands down. I own an i5-6600k so I'm not being biased here.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

My next CPU will certainly be AMD. I use multi-core applications and AMD has been blowing Intel out of the water.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes :)

• 13 months ago
  • 0 points

i LIKE TO USE THE RYZEN 5 2600X

[comment deleted]
  • 13 months ago
  • 2 points

Unlocked Intel chips have the best gaming performance due to cames not often able to scale with a ton of cores and the speed of said cores is what matters most. A 5GHz Intel smashes single core performance. Locked Intel CPUs vs AMD is a different matter as I have heard of second gen ryzens hitting some single cores to 4.4 GHz on XFR 2.0. Though AMD is leading multi core performance now too. If all you do is game though you will still have a great experience with a modern AMD or Intel.

At least it is not 2015 where you had to pick between a FX CPU or a haswell. I would say haswell hands down back then.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube