add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Replacing stock cooler AMD

DaMysteryMan

23 months ago

So I am replacing my stock cooler with the cryorig m9a and when I lift on the stock cooler, after undoing the screws, the motherboard bend upwards. Should I take the motherboard out? Do I just pull, and hope it doesn’t break? Kind of urgent.

EDIT: got it off by twisting, some thermal paste is on the CPU. Is it ok to get a little alcohol on the CPU silicon?

Comments

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

got it off by twisting,

Exactly.. that is the correct way to do it.

some thermal paste is on the CPU. Is it ok to get a little alcohol on the CPU silicon?

You need to clean it with alcohol and apply new thermal paste. The one that comes with the cryorig cooler is pretty decent.

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

Yes, I have done that. I used cutips to get the little bit that slipped off the edge, and let it dry all the way first. I applied too much thermal paste, but other than that I have it done. The cryorig m9a is surprisingly quiet, I set it to a more aggressive fan curve and it's still quiet.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube