add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Will 70% isopropyl alcohol remove thermal paste?

DaMysteryMan
  • 24 months ago

I have heard water works but I’m not going to be an idiot and fry my CPU... I need to know if I should go get some because I recently bought the cryorig m9a and need to remove thermal paste to install it.

Comments

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

It'll be fine, also someone here suggested using a coffee filter for no residue cleanup, great idea.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah, when I removed the cpu on an old prebuilt I had, I put in in some alcohol and let it sit there for a while as it has never had a cpu exchange and the thermal paste was a little tough.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Use alcohol swabs . They come in a box of 100/200 so just use like 15 of them to remove a little bit of paste at a time ...

Also use coffee filters or whatever to make sure theres no residue left if you see some alcohol on the processor while using the swabs. Personally I just used Scott Towels then blew some compressed air on the processor to make sure it was all clean before applying new paste on it ...

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I've always used isopropyl alcohol with toilet paper. Some would frown at using toilet paper (roughness) but it's always been fine for me.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I used cutips, they worked well.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Q-tips? Yeah, those would work well. I like using those for cleaning fan blades, though they can shred and leave crap behind.

• 24 months ago
  • 2 points

If you are careful not get get them caught on anything they work fine.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I've used 70% + coffee filters numerous times with no issues. If you want to be on the safe side, you can always leave it out to dry for like 15 minutes, but I've found that's not necessary.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I basically use alcohol wipes which come with a varying amount of 70% , 80%, 90% alcohol and all work perfect. Just make sure to let the surface cool prior to applying new thermal paste.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I use 99% isopropyl and coffee filters (less microscopic residue). I ordered the 99% in gallon form online at while back and just had it lying around; and as it turns out it is frequently used for thermal paste removal (convenient for me at least). You can buy 91% at the grocery store, the farmacy, Walmart, etc. 90+% is a better idea for cleaning up thermal paste than 70%, but I don't doubt both will be ok. I would recommend using coffee filters though as they leave less residue on the cooler and plate, which prevents cooling performance reduction.

You should not be using water on your cpu to remove thermal paste, that is a terrible idea.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube