• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

AlFromNY 4 months ago

Intel Core i5-8400 Coffee Lake 6-Core 2.8 GHz (4.0 GHz Turbo)

Can someone please explain when the chip runs at 2.8 as opposed to 4.0? Call me crazy, I'd prefer 4.0

I'm considering this cpu to get me Coffee Lake... anything I should be aware of?

Thanx

Comments Sorted by:

Vainslay 1 Build 6 points 4 months ago

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-coffee-lake-core-i5-8400-cpu,5281.html

It's a great chip, it's only labeled as 2.8ghz base clock to squeeze into it's rating of 65w.

But it's newer turbo boast 2.0 clocks changes things quite a bit, from 4.0ghz on one core, 3.9ghz on two and four cores and 3.8ghz on all 6 cores which is a lot more aggressive then the i5 7400

legonate416 2 Builds 1 point 4 months ago

Because Intel refuses to disclose any per-core turbo information anymore, it's anyone's guess as to whether your chip will turbo to 4ghz on all cores or 3.2ghz on all cores.

The difference between the two numbers (a whopping 1.2ghz) makes the i5-8400 not feel right to me. Most desktop Intel CPUs prior to Coffeelake only turbo'd 400mhz or so, sometimes 500mhz. But never 1.2ghz AFAIK.

Also, WYSIWYG, meaning you can't overclock the chip if you don't like how it's performing.

Good luck.

AlFromNY submitter 1 point 4 months ago

Thanx so much,

I'm not a gamer & just looking to put together a sensible machine. I like the price of the 8400. I'm sure it's more than I need but still don't want to be penny wise & pound foolish. I guess this will remain a bit of a grey area.

Again thanx!

tragiktimes101 1 Build 1 point 4 months ago

8350K would be better for pure gaming. The 8400 would be fine for gaming, but have more overhead for other programs to run simultaneously.

Good info... thanx

TheShadowGuy 1 point 4 months ago

For just a basic machine, you would probably be just fine with the i3-8100.

Thanx Shadow...

I'm afraid I'm the old guy who still wants a corvette ;)

TheShadowGuy 1 point 4 months ago

Ha, I can understand that. :)

If we frame it as the i3-8350k, a highly clocked overclockable quad core, vs the i5-8400, a hexacore with turbo boost, we have a more interesting debate. Both solutions are similar in price.

I would lean toward the i5-8400 since there is a trend toward multithreading and you don't have to overclock to see its full potential. While high clocks are nice, I think long term you would have a nicer experience from i5-8400.

[comment deleted by staff]

May we should start an old guys forum? ;-)

Axeyy 2 Builds 1 point 4 months ago

I agree with legonate416. Even Intel does not guarantee that it will boost as it states, since some do and some dont. But not to say its a bad thing. From most of the people using it seems to be a decent budget 6 core processor with some punch to its performance. I would definitely get this over the 8350k unless you wanted to OC.

Srtpower 1 Build 1 point 4 months ago

If you are just looking to put together a basic machine without gaming you could save money with this. Not coffee lake but a great CPU at a much lower cost (especially with motherboard).

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/kB7CmG/intel-pentium-g4600-36ghz-dual-core-processor-bx80677g4600

AlFromNY submitter 2 points 4 months ago

Srt I've been around computers for a long time.... In 1984 I was doing some database work & for business I bought an IMB XT. It cost about $3200 (huge $ in '84). Its claim to fame was an immense 10 Mgb hhd!!!! It was like looking down into the Grand Canyon.

Anyway I've always followed hardware from a distance but this site has given me the bug. I'd like to try a build. I don't really need a lot of Horse Power & a 1st build with a Pentium G4600 probably makes sense... you've got me think'n about it

Thanx

This place is GREAT... Thanx guys

tragiktimes101 1 Build 2 points 4 months ago

I would have to advise against using a G4560 or G4600 due to their limited upgrade path now. AM4 would probably be a better choice.

It really depends on what you plan to use your PC for.

I got a chuckle about your Grand Canyon comment!

caparts 1 point 4 months ago

I would get the i5-8400 out of those choices. Just google that cpu + benchmarks and compare. Also, note that the power consumption and temps are pretty reasonable and it is competitive with all the other high performance processors. It is usually close or surpassing the i7-7700 and R5 1600 in several tasks.

I was considering a 'G4560 idea' in which I'd use a Kaby Lake cpu and mobo for a bit and upgrade the cpu/mobo later but I'm now looking at CL and Ryzen. I still think the idea is good as those components should still have good value (used) and if you use ebay, you should be able to get good $$ for those parts.

But, I bought my memory already and I have a complicated situation now - as I didn't get the recommended 'Samsung b-die' sticks. I bought 3200 mhz RAM and I thought that would cover me if I went with Ryzen as it's a high speed. But, now, it sounds like I might not get the higher speeds because of the chip and AMD's problem with it. So, if you are still on the fence of what to get, make sure you look into it if you haven't bought memory yet. :)

The i3-8100 and i5-8400 are really similar, imho, with the i5 chip with 2 extra cores. The power consumption and temps for these chips seem to be very good and efficient. I would consider either one and just go by price.

Otherwise, an AMD Ryzen build is good if you need extra cores but I would be careful about which RAM you get and also, I have read about problems when trying to get accurate temps (in Windows?) and also issues when using Linux (if that's applicable to you). In other words, AMD/Ryzen is not without its own problems.

Great info! Thanx

Thanx Falcon

Not true. All 6 cores can boost to 3.8GHz.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]