add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Cheap out on the PSU or on the MOBO

Anox
  • 33 months ago

Should I cheap out on the PSU and get this mobo:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1500X 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $189.00 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte - GA-AB350-GAMING 3 ATX AM4 Motherboard $109.99 @ Amazon
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $64.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Zotac - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Mini Video Card $334.45 @ Amazon
Case Cooler Master - K380 ATX Mid Tower Case $72.00
Power Supply Corsair - CX (2017) 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $49.99 @ Amazon
Monitor BenQ - GL2460HM 24.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor $129.00 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $999.41
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-05 09:59 EDT-0400

Or cheap out on the MOBO and get this PSU:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1500X 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $189.00 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte - GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard -
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $64.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Zotac - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Mini Video Card $334.45 @ Amazon
Case Cooler Master - K380 ATX Mid Tower Case $72.00
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $84.99 @ Amazon
Monitor BenQ - GL2460HM 24.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor $129.00 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $924.42
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-05 09:55 EDT-0400

Comments

• 33 months ago
  • 2 points

Either build is not bad.

Both PSU work fine and will not give much trouble. So go with better MOBO. IF you intend to OC heavily then get better PSU, if it is a mild OC both will do just fine.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

I never suggest cheaping out on either component. They are the two components that are connected to everything else in the build. If either one has a catastrophic failure it'll take the whole build with it.

That being said, neither combination is technically bad. If overclocking is going to be a priority for you (for which you'd be better off with an aftermarket cooler anyway), then you'd need high-end components for both PSU and mobo.

Running the assumption that it's not a priority to overclock, since there's no aftermarket cooler or consideration for the x370 chipset, I suggest keeping your current choice in motherboard (I have personal preference for other options, but yours is a good one still), and going with this power supply. It's not the greatest PSU available, but it is a good unit and it will be plenty reliable for you. I'm specifically suggesting the slightly older CXM supply because I haven't seen any verified reviews for the new platform of the CX series. The older CX series was mostly useful as a paperweight, and the CXM series was a big improvement that made them worthwhile. With such a big difference between the two series, I'm staying wary of the 2017 CX series until there are some definitive tests done

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3hkwrH/corsair-power-supply-cp9020102na

Unfortunately, Not available in amazon

I am going to oc the cpu a little bit and of course i'll buy an aftermarket cooler, but i was wondering if the second mobo (which is micro) is fine for my build or not? Because if it's fine , i'll go for mini tower cases(which I prefer more than mid ones)

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

The MicroATX will be just fine. The major difference between the two boards is just the physical size.

As for PSU, I didn't notice that you were looking only at Amazon listings. In which case, I suggest the 450w version: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/FQ648d/corsair-power-supply-cp9020101na

Still enough wattage for your build, but when you upgrade for overclocking, you'll probably want to up the PSU as well (which I'd suggest on any of the supplies mentioned except for the G3)

[comment deleted]
  • 33 months ago
  • 1 point

What is your personal preference for the mobo?

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

I typically prefer ASRock boards. The Fatal1ty K4 is great (though more expensive), and the Pro4 is good as well.

The boards in your list have slightly more features than the Pro4 offers, so it wouldn't be worthwhile to switch to that since it's not much less expensive

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, that's not cheaping out. The CXM series PSU is a phenomenal PSU. 550 watts and 50$? What a deal!

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

the CX in the list is a very different supply from the CXM. You might recall the old CX series that was notoriously shoddy. There's still nothing that reviews the performance of the new CX series (hence the 2017 in the naming), but if it's like the old CX series then it is not a good choice.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Corsair CX's internal capacitors are rated for 85C. Meaning if the build gets hot enough (and as a gaming build it easily could), the capacitors on the supply will fail. Best case scenario with capacitor failure is that the supply doesn't work. It could easily cause a more catastrophic failure, not to mention exploding capacitors and leaking electrolytic fluid.

Even if it doesn't get that hot, taking capacitors within a certain temperature range of their rating will cause them to degrade much faster. Capacitors in a power supply oscillate voltage thousands of times per minute. Cheap capacitors do not bode well for a power supply with stringent requirements and high-power consumption.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Just because a product is newer that doesn't mean it is better. And if the supply did fail and took other parts with it, the warranty only covers the supply. The power supply is just too important of a component to take a risk on.

Interestingly enough, that Rosewill is just as bad. Still group regulated, still cheap capacitors, and it actually has worse ripple voltage than the old CX.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube