• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

SquaricAcid 2 months ago

About a year ago I built my computer and installed Windows 10 on it, it bluescreened once when i was installing it, but it didn't do it again for a while, because I was downloading stuff when it was still new. However, a few months later, I noticed it would crash and give me a blue screen whenever I would leave it idling and come back after a while. When I rebooted it, it would crash three or four times on bootup, then it would work fine for weeks. Even teamspeak running in the background kept it from crashing, but if I had nothing open, after a half hour or so, it would crash. I ended up trying to reinstall Windows, because it got worse and worse. However, when trying to install it, it would crash when trying to install. After this, I tried installing Ubuntu through a self made USB boot disc, and it would freeze after I hit continue on the install screen. I have tried RMAing the power supply, switching the RAM out and buying more, and I have tried an HDD and an SSD to see if it was the original HDD's fault. After all of this, it still does the same thing, so now I am thinking it is the motherboard or processor, but I need some more experienced opinions before I RMA or buy new parts.

Parts List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bBdhZ8

Comments Sorted by:

BodaciousBuddha 2 points 2 months ago

BSOD can be anything from hardware to software (drivers).

Since it's failing during installation of 2 different OS's, it'll be difficult to pinpoint the problematic hardware. Put a standalone Linux distro on a USB, download some hardware diagnostic programs, and run through the tests. No need to install; this kind of OS runs on the USB flash drive. MemTest86+ is a standalone program that'll test your ram.

Given what you've tested so far, it's probably the motherboard, but Win 10 can sometimes screw up the auto-downloading and installing of drivers. The GPU driver might be the problem--or even a simple USB device with a faulty driver. So, another test is running with one stick of ram, CPU, SSD, no GPU (if possible), and a keyboard (less USB devices, the better). Install Win 10, don't connect to the Internet during installation. Upon completion, use Shutup Windows 10 to disable windows updates and driver updates. Install the drivers from the manufacturers' sites. Then install additional hardware (or do that after running some tests). Device Manager and Event Viewer are good to play with.

Another diagnostic tool is bluescreenviewer which reads the memory.dmp's that are left after a BSOD. The error (or bugcheck) and parameters 1 to 3 are useful for googling.

You'd be surprised. Sometimes, these problems are caused by a faulty wireless adapter driver that needs to be completely uninstalled and then reinstalled. Sometimes, it can be even simpler like a Bluetooth headset.

Warlock 1 point 2 months ago

BSOD is typically associated with defective/incompatible RAM and/or defective mobo.
Without another system to use as a reference, no sure way to test processor or mobo.

SquaricAcid submitter 1 point 2 months ago

I downloaded and used that with different combos of all of my 4 GB sticks of RAM and they were all clean, forgot to mention that in the post.

Crazyfool 1 point 2 months ago

Just read the log files to try and find out why it is crashing. Google up the error codes.

Click on the Search icon or press the key combination Windows-S. Enter the search string “Event Viewer” and wait for the Search to display its icon in the results. Windows 10 crash logs are best found in the Event Viewer: Inspecting logs this way is a breeze.