add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Comments (Continued)

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Well I downloaded it the first time with intent but twice after that there were duplicates out of nowhere, so I just deleted it and scanned my system with Malwarebytes and AVG. As for using Kaspersky softwares, someone on this site told me to read about this and ever since then I decided not to use that software. What are some other good tools for this kinda thing?

I might replace AVG with Norton.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't think russian spies would care about your computer even if that's true

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

As for using Kaspersky softwares, someone on this site told me to read about this and ever since then I decided not to use that software.

This has been talked to death elsewhere, but here's my short version.

The only confirmed case of sensitive data being leaked that I know of involved a contractor experimenting with NSA malware development which was detected by Kaspersky's antimalware algorithms. As is the default behavior, it sent a sample of this new malware for further analysis and prevention. Everything else I've seen has been circumstantial at best. For governments and high risk agencies, domestic or better yet in-house production of software and other critical infrastructure has always been the ideal, whether or not a company is reputable. I have no issues still recommending Kaspersky.

Norton

Please no.

AVG

AVG is fine. It hasn't been on my top list of recommendations for years though; mostly out of memory for massive performance issues that developed after years of being my go-to AV. These days the ratings I've seen have been much better, but not quite as good as Bitdefender/Kaspersky.

What are some other good tools for this kinda thing?

Good security is not done through a single piece of software. It involves habits and multiple layers. You can go pretty deep with security; here are a few basics:

1. Have an antimalware program. The absolute most basic is Windows Defender, the version built in to Windows 10. Microsoft has come a long way in making it more effective. I tend to prefer something stronger. AV Comparatives does excellent testing of solutions. Unless there is a feature of a paid version you really want to use, I only recommend free versions.

2. Do an occasional scan using a tool like Malwarebytes Free, KVRT, Comodo Cleaning Essentials (much more technical recovery tools), or Emsisoft Emergency Kit (I like portable software). Malwarebytes is pretty much the gold standard in this regard.

3. Use two factor authentication when possible. Apps like Authy can make this easier. Some sites will use texted codes for their second authentication. Whatever the case, enabling it helps secure your accounts.

4. Don't use easy to guess or compromised passwords. Short passwords made of just a word and a few numbers at the end are not very secure. Even just making a password a bit longer using multiple words, and increasing the number of types of characters (uppercase, lowercase, numbers, and special characters) helps. C0rrectHorse!BatteryStaple is a lot more secure than bob123. You could use a secure password generator and a single sign on keylocker, but I dislike storing passwords. To tell if your password or personal information has been involved in a leak, this site is very useful.

5. Internet browser extensions are a great way to cut down on some junk. Malicious advertising and redirects, for example. uBlock Origin, uBlock Origin Extra, Disconnect, HTTPS Everywhere are my current favorites.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Interesting. Thanks.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

When you said you wouldn’t recommend premium versions of any AVs unless there was a feature I wanna use, I was curious of how well the VPNs of those AVs that are offered in their premium packages work.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I usually recommend getting a dedicated VPN service like NordVPN if you are interested in a VPN.

That said, I haven't really looked into the exact offerings or testing of AV VPN options.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Interesting. So how do those VPN services work? Once I subscribe all I have to do is just connect my network to it and then I'll be secured?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube