add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Comments (Continued)

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Cool. One more question about fans for the case. Initially I was going to just leave the 2 stock fans the way they are, but I've seen some builds where people move the stock fans to the front and add 2 additional fans to the top and rear exhaust. Any suggestions about fan placement? I believe the mobo only has 3 fan connectors so I would need fan splitters to add more than 3. Do you think I need the extra fans or better fan placement?

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Fans/cases are hard to say, but if you get a decent case, which the H500 absolutely is, and you're not in an environment with a very high ambient temperature, usually two fans, which are included with the H500, are enough.

There is actually a video reviewing whether extra fans at the front of the H500 helped cool the inside, the short verdict is, no, it didn't. Some people criticise parts of the test that could probably skew the results, but regardless, the temperature difference would have been minimal even if there were any. Closed-front cases, like the H500, usually don't benefit (much) front intake fans mounted on the front, but I don't know every case, so there could be exceptions. If you're not looking for anything fancy and you don't need the fans to be absolutely silent, I'd just use the included fans, leave them where they are and be done with it. The H500 is quite popular, since it's not expensive, quite good in quality and you can simply use it as is without being concerned. If you are concerned and/or the computer will be situated in a high ambient temperature environment, making airflow an important factor to keep the inside cool, sure, extra fans might help, but you shouldn't get a closed-front case in the first place if that was the situation and get a mesh front case instead. If you do get temperature issues when you start using the computer, purchasing extra fans and changing the fan configuration then isn't too late and quite simple, since fans are easy to mount/take off/change.

Before someone comes along and says, a GPU with high power draw like the 2080 Ti will make the temperature inside very warm and the included fans aren't quite enough. I just want to say, if you're housing a $1300 GPU in a $70 case, you literally went out to buy the problem for yourself.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube