Early this year I decided to go big on my first water cooled build and scratch build it as well. I went with a butterfly theme and wanted to make this build really stand out. I got the idea, sketched it, rendered it, and then started buying parts and building the case.
Learned lots of things in what to plan for in a future scratch builds. How light works with acrylic and planning more details other than just layout, to name a few.
The main case is 1/8" aluminum I cut, bent, and painted in the shop I work at. The wings are 1/8" acrylic each painted to get the desired effect. The big wing is tinted clear coat to get a smokey look, and the smaller wing is a transparent pearl coat to get the "hidden" butterflies. Both are etched with a hand held sand blaster on the back side with vinyl stencils.
The biggest hurdle and strugle was the front I/O panel I cut in the right side. The aluminum the main case was built from was to thick for the parts I had bought so I had to cut out a section and weld in thinner aluminum that the USB connectors could flush mount to and allow a cable to be plugged in. The front I/O has USB 2.0, 3.0 and 3.1 gen 2 (I think, who knows the names anymore) type-c.